The 30 Best Places to Stay in Rome: My Selection
So, you’re going to Rome and you’re wondering where to stay?
For sure, finding the best accommodation isn’t easy: You will want to be in one of the best areas to stay in Rome, find a quiet hotel, ideally close to public transport and of course find something that fits into your budget.
To help you find the best place to stay in Rome, I have prepared this detailed guide. For each districts, I will tell you:
- The strong points of the area
- Which tourist attractions are located nearby
- And of course, the best hotels and hostels depending on your budget!
Whether you are looking for a hotel in the city centre, close to the Colosseum and ancient Rome, or rather on the Vatican side, you will find the perfect accommodation for your stay.
And if you’re looking for the best place to stay Rome on a budget (this include hostels), you will find my list at the end of the article.
So, where to Stay in Rome, Italy?
- The 30 Best Places to Stay in Rome: My Selection
- In Rome historical center area
- In the Ancient Rome area
- In Testaccio – Ostiense area (south of Rome)
- In Trastevere district
- in the Vatican area ( + Borgo and Prati)
- In villa Borghese area, North of Rome
- In Termini area
- The 7 best places to stay in Rome on a budget
- What’s the best hotel in Rome ?
- The best hotels in Rome with a swimming pool
- Where to stay in Rome: summary of the best hotels
- You’re traveling in Italy? These articles will help you!
In Rome historical center area
The historical center of Rome (“Centro Storico” in Italian) is the most touristic area of the city. Most monuments, museums and places of historical importance are located there, and this includes the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona for example. It’s also not far from the Ancient Rome district (Colosseum/ Roman Forum), at about 15 minutes walk.
In this area, there is a lot of traditional restaurants (trattorias) and ice cream shops (gelateria), including the famous “Tre Scalini”. Everything needed to make your stay in Rome truly unforgettable!
You guessed it: this is the best area to stay in Rome to visit the city center.
I recommend this area to stay in Rome:
- As a starting point to visit Rome on foot
- To enjoy Rome’s baroque and classical architecture.
- To immerse yourself in Roman culture
- If you are looking for a lively neighborhood
- If you want to stay in Rome city center
However, as it’s the most touristic place, it’s quite noisy and crowded. If you want to stay in a quiet neighbourhood, you will find other options that are better suited to your expectations a bit further in this article.
It’s also one of the most expensive place to stay in Rome.
This district is the ideal place to discover:
- The Pantheon, an ancient Roman temple built in the 1st century B.C
- La Piazza Navona, the largest square in Rome
- The Trevi Fountain
- The Basilica Sant’Agostino, masterpiece of the Renaissance style.
Here is my selection of the best hotels in Rome historical center
Piazza Del Gesu ‘Luxury Suites – from 180 €
Housed in a renovated 16th century building, the Hotel Piazza Del Gesu ‘Luxury Suites is elegant, comfortable and relatively inexpensive for the area.
The rooms have modern furniture and are equipped with everything you need for your comfort (including soundproof windows, a must when you stay in the heart of the city center!). Some of the rooms overlook the city.
The hotel is ideally located in an area with many typical restaurants, only 600 meters from Piazza Navona and 5 minutes walk from the Pantheon.
If you’re looking for where to stay in Rome for 2 or 3 days and in the city center, the Piazza del Gesu is simply the perfect hotel.
Hotel Caravita – from 190 €
If you are wondering where to stay in Rome as a first time visitor who wants to visit everything on foot, I recommend you the Hotel Caravita.
Housed in a 15th century building, elegant and carefully decorated, the hotel is ideally located:
- 300 m from Trevi Fountain
- 5 minutes from the Pantheon
- and only 15 minutes from the Colosseum!
The staff is amazing and will do everything to ensure you have a memorable stay. Rooms have modern furniture and all the services you need to enjoy your time at the hotel (Wi-fi, TV, toiletries … ). Some rooms even have a privet jacuzzi!
Guests also have free access to the hotel’s outdoor relaxation area, including a spa.
The Caravita hotel is my favourite in Rome city centre for it’s amazing value for money!
HT6 Hotel Roma – from 260 €
If you have a big budget, I definitely recommend you this 4-star hotel near the Campo de ‘Fiori square.
The rooms, in Art Nouveau style, are beautiful and feature modern and comfortable equipment, including a spa and hammam for the most luxurious of them. A copious Buffet breakfast made of fresh products is included in the price. Perfect to give you strength to walk around Rome historical center for the day!
The hotel is located in the Pantheon district, only 700 meters away from the Pantheon itself.
This is my recommendation for a luxury stay in Rome historical center! Without a doubt, one of the best places to stay in Rome as a tourist.
In the Ancient Rome area
The Ancient Rome district is perfect for history lovers. This is where some of the most important places of Rome’s historical heritage are located, such as the Colosseum, the Roman Forum or Capitoline Hill. It’s also less crowded and quieter than the historic center. A great place to stay in Rome!
I recommendyou this area to stay in Rome:
- If you’re an archeology lover
- For a leap into the past, to the times of Ancient Rome
- To get lost in the streets and discover charming hidden shops and restaurants.
- As a starting point to visit other areas, farther from the center of Rome
The neighborhood is still quite preserved, there isn’t as many hotels as elsewhere, so it can be a bit more expensive. If you really want to stay in the Ancient Rome area, book your hotel as early as possible.
The area is ideal for discovering the following tourist attractions:
- The Colosseum
- The Roman Forum, main square of the Ancient Rome
- Trajan’s column, on the Forum
- The Temples of Capitol Hill, one of the seven hills of Rome, the religious heart of the ancient Rome.
Where to stay in Ancient Rome?
Il Tempio Della Capital – from 110 €
Located in the Jewish ghetto, 100m from the Great synagogue of Rome, 500m from the Palazzo Venezia and 600m from Piazza Venezia, this guesthouse is a great choice for your stay in Rome. It’s located in a quiet place, but still very close to everything you will visit.
Another great thing: you can rent bicycles there, it’s ideal for a stroll in the heart of the ancient Rome! You’re wondering where to stay in Rome with family? This is in my opinion the best choice for your family if you want to stay in a quiet and excellent location, at a relatively affordable price.
Private Apartment Colosseum – from 195€
The Private Apartment Colosseum is a great place to stay for 2 or 3 days in Rome.
Located in the Monti district, at only 10 minutes walk from the Colosseum, it offers spacious, elegant and fully equipped apartments for rent. You will have: a kitchenette with oven and coffee machine, a shower with hydromassage function and even Netflix on the TV!
Near Cavour subway station, the accommodation is also close to the Quirinal palace (1 km) and the Domus Aurea (Golden House in english) (500 m).
I highly recommend you these apartments if you want to have your own kitchen, to cook great meals with fresh produces found on Italian markets.
This is a great place to stay in Rome with kids.
Residenze Argileto – from 190€
Located in a beautiful 18th century building, this hotel is at only 600m from the Colosseum and 5 minutes walk from a metro station. Clearly one of the best location to visit Rome.
You will for sure enjoy the large typical bright rooms, with exposed wooden beams and marble floor.
And you know the best part? If you book a room in this hotel, you will have a free 1h30 Spa access + 1h rooftop Jacuzzi access included! (per person and per day).
All this + the fact it’s located in one of the best area to stay in Rome makes it an excellent choice pour your trip to the Eternal City. Definitely my favourite place to stay near the Colosseum!
In Testaccio – Ostiense area (south of Rome)
As this district is a bit further from Rome must-see attractions, it’s a great place to find good hotels for a low price. For sure not the most touristic area, but definitely a great place to stay in Rome!
You should book an hotel in this area if:
- You don’t have a big budget but still want to find a good hotel
- You want to discover an authentic Roman neighbourhood, far from the tourist crowds
- If you like going to bars: The nightlife in this district is one of the best in Rome!
In the neighbourhood, you can see:
- The Esposizione Universale Roma site, built for the 1942 world exposition (canceled because of the WWII) and its fascist architecture.
- Testaccio Market: Rome main public market, the perfect place to buy high quality Italian typical products.
- Eataly: A huge supermarket located next to Ostiense train station. Another great place to buy Italian food!
The best places to stay in Testaccio – Ostiense
Pyramid House – from 80€
Located close to Piramide metro station (great to visit the city), these apartments are perfect for a budget stay in Rome. They are not expensive, and they all have a kitchen, so you can save money by cooking your own amazing Italian food with products from the market.
There isn’t many apartments, so it’s quickly fully booked. If it’s still available, you should definitely book now!
Re Testa Hotel – from 100 €
In Testaccio districit, the Re Testa hotel offers bright, spacious, modern and well equipped rooms with a balcony overlooking the city. Breakfast is served on the terrace of a nearby café. A great way to start the day!
The location is great, it is:
- At only 10 minutes from Porta Portese, the largest outdoor market in Rome
- At 20 minutes from the Circus Maximus: you can visit the Aventine district by foot
- At 15 minutes from Piramide metro station (you can reach other areas easily).
Hôtel Abitart – from 135€
Design hotel located in the heart of Ostiense district, not far from the railway station and the metro. Pretty convenient to visit Rome!
You can enjoy a hearty breakfast buffet to start your day off right, and try typical Italian cuisine at the hotel’s restaurant, the Estrobar.
A great and cosy place to stay in Rome.
In Trastevere district
Trastevere district is one of Rome’s coolest neighbourhood. The trattorias and bars are full almost all day long! It’s not really a quiet neighbourhood, but it’s a great place to eat local food for a good price.
Here, there is no emblematic monument to vist: it’s the “real” authentic Rome and the best place to stay if you want to experience the city like a local.
Hotels are are around 30% cheaper than in the historical center area, and you can find many youth hostel in this district.
You should sleep in Trastevere area:
- If you want to get a glimpse of the “real” local life in Rome
- To enjoy a glass of Spritz at a café terrace
- If you like busy and lively places and don’t mind noise
- If you’re a photography lover, the typical alleys are very photogenic and picturesque.
Things to see in the Trastevere district :
- The Janiculum Hill (Gianicolo), which offers magnificent views of the city
- Many churches, such as the Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere or the Church of St. Cecilia in Trastevere
Best places to stay in Trastevere
Sonnino Suite – From 100 €
The Sonnino Suite is located in Trastevere district, next to the Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere and Tiber Island. There is a tramway stop just in front of the hotel, so it’s extremly convenient if you are tired of walking. There are also numerous restaurants nearby: after a good day of visits, no need to go too far to have a great diner!
The rooms are spacious, elegant and most importantly in this district: soundproof!
And if you need any help to plan your visits, don’t hesitate to ask the staff, they are very helpful. Definitely a great place to stay in Rome!
Rhea Silvia Luxury Rooms – From 135 €
Located in the heart of Trastevere district, this hotel is also close to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon (20 minutes walk), as well as the Piazza Campo de’ Fiori (1 km).
The Rhea Silvia Luxury Rooms offers well equipped rooms that will satisfy even the most exigent travellers. The rooms are large, comfortable and, last but not least, very modern, which is quite uncommon in Rome in this price range!
The welcome is excellent, with welcome gifts and the hosts are always ready to help you. They are really full of good advice for visiting Rome.
It’s our crush for is amazing value for money in Trastevere!
Le VOI Donna Camilla Savelli Hotel – From 250€
Located in an old monastery, with an interior garden, a terrace overlooking the city, and designed by a baroque architect, the 4-star hotel VOI Donna Camilla Savelli has everything needed to seduce you.
Breakfast (with vegan options) is included in the room rate and served on the terrace in summer.
It’s located near (5 minutes walk) the Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere, and at only 10 minutes walk along the Tiber river from the Vatican. Rome’s historic centre is also within walking distance if you take the Sisto Bridge.
If you are looking for a beautiful and charming hotel in the Trastevere area, you should book it now.
It’s the perfect place to stay in Rome for a romantic weekend!
in the Vatican area ( + Borgo and Prati)
Staying in Vatican district is of course the best choice to visit the St Peter’s Basilica, Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museums. However, this area is extremely touristic and the hotels rates are very high.
So in this guide of the best places to stay in Rome, I will also include hotels from nearby neighbourhoods: Borgo and Prati. They are less expensive and a very good alternative to stay next to the Vatican on a budget.
The Vatican district is the perfect place to stay in Rome:
- To be amongst the first to visit the Vatican’s touristic places in the morning.
- If you’re looking for a quiet, residential neighbourhood
- For arts lovers: there are 11 museums in the Vatican, staying nearby is the best way to have the time to see them all!
In Vatican, Borgo and Prati areas, you can discover:
- The Vatican city, of course: St Peter’s square and basilica, the Sistine Chapel and the numerous Vatican museums.
- Castel Sant’Angelo, in Borgo district.
- The architecture of Prati district, very different from the rest of Rome. Large avenues and haussmannian style buildings. A little Paris!
Where to stay in Rome in Vatican area?
Vatican Angels Casa Vacanze – From 105 €
Located at only 5 minutes walk from the main Vatican Museums, the Vatican Angels Casa Vacanze is one of the best place to stay in Vatican area.
The apartment is modern and offers all the comforts you will need: Wi-Fi connection, TV, canopy bed, kitchenette equipped with dishwasher and a toaster.
It’s also close to Cipro metro station (400 m): very convenient if you plan to visit other parts of Rome.
There’s only one! If it is available for your dates, you shouldn’t wait to book it!
It’s clearly the best value for Money in Vatican district.
San Pietro Suites – From 130€
Situated at only 300 meters from the Vatican and 15 minutes walk from Castel Sant’Angelo, its geographical location is ideal for visiting Rome.
The rooms are comfortable and tastefully decorated, breakfast is hearty and served in the room, the mini bar is stocked every day with cold drinks and this is included in the price. The staff speaks English very well and is very helpful.
The view of the Vatican from some of the rooms is outstanding and a bottle of Chianti is offered on arrival. A great way to start your stay in Vatican district.
It also offers an excellent value for money for this area of Rome.
Residenza Paolo VI – From 250€
This 4-star hotel is only at a few meters from St. Peter’s Square and 15 minutes walk from the Vatican Museums.
Located in a former monastery, the hotel offers elegant rooms with parquet floors, antique furniture and large carpets on the ground. You will for sure enjoy staying in this ancient convent converted into a luxury and modern hotel!
There is a buffet breakfast, with a large choice of salty and sweet dishes. You can also enjoy a snack or a drink on the terrace offering a panoramic view of the Vatican.
In villa Borghese area, North of Rome
In this neighbourhood, you will find many museums and art galleries.
Villa Borghese district is a classy neighbourhood, loved by tourists and locals alike. It’s quite busy, but visiting it feels extremely relaxing, thanks to the numerous parks and green spaces.
If you’re looking for the best place to stay in Rome on a budget, villa Borghese district is definitely a great choice.
You should stay in this district during your trip to Rome:
- If you enjoy nature and green spaces
- To discover Rome differently than other tourists (they tend to stay more around the Ancient Rome)
The 3 best things to do in Villa Borghese are:
- Visit the Villa Borghese and its huge park of course! There is also the Carlo Bilotti modern art museum in the park (free entrance)
- The famous Villa Medicis, which has played a crucial role in Roman and European cultural development
- The Galleria Borghese, hosting one of the most impressive collection of painting and sculptures in Rome.
The best hotels in the North of Rome (Villa Borghese area)
Hotel Villa Porpora – From 88€
10 minutes walk from the Galleria Borghese, this hotel is one of the best place to stay in Rome if you’re on a budget. The great thing is that it’s very quiet!
All basic services are included (Wi-fi connection, TV, fridge, private bathroom…) to allow you to have a pleasant stay. The restaurant is pretty good too.
Many bus and tramways stops are located close to the hotel, it’s very convenient to visit the city.
Relais at Via Veneto – From 110€
The hotel is ideally located in this district, at only 100m from the Villa Borghese park.
Situated in an elegant 19th century building, the Relais at Via Veneto rooms are modern and colourful: perfect to feel at home!
The staff is very helpful and will help you to organize your visit of Rome if you have any question. The Breakfast is served in a cafe nearby.
It’s our crush for it’s amazing value for money, definitely one of the best place to stay in the north of Rome.
Hotel Villa Linneo – From 180 €
Located at 400 m from Villa Borghese and its magnificent gardens, but also close to the historic centre (20 minutes from the Trevi Fountain and Piazza di Spagna), the Villa Linneo hotel is ideally situated.
The hotel has a garden and the rooms are classic and elegant, with all the necessary equipment for your comfort. Some of them even have a pretty old-fashioned bathtub.
The ideal choice if you are looking for a beautiful and quiet hotel in Rome, at an affordable price.
In Termini area
Termini district is where Rome train station is located, and the only place in town where the 2 metro lines intersect. You guessed it, it’s very convenient in terms of transportations. In addition, the hotels prices are very decent there.
However, it’s a bit far from the city center it will be hard to visit the city on foot from your hotel. There isn’t much to see around, but to find a cheap hotel in Rome, it’s a great area!
You should stay in Termini district if:
- You’re traveling on a budget
- You don’t mind walking or using public transport to go to the city center.
Things to see in Termini area:
- A few churches like Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica.
The 3 Best Hotels in Termini area
Le Central Domus Roma – From 100 €
Located in a 19th century building, this apartment is really unique: Mixing ancient furniture with modern bedding and lighting. It’s really stunning!
In addition to this rustic aspect, it’s very modern, with two flat screen televisions, a hydromassage shower, and a brand new and fully equipped kitchen.
In terms of situation, it’s at 1.2 km from the Colosseum and only 450m from Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica.
The Vinci House – From 120 €
The Vinci House is located at only 200 m from Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica, one of the places to visit in Termini district and at 1 km from the Colosseum.
The rooms are well equipped and have everything you need for comfort. Another grea thing: the host is very kind, he will not hesitate to give you advice and tips to optimize your stay in Rome!
It’s in my opinion the best value for money if you plan to stay in Termini area.
Le Roman Holidays Boutique Hotel – From 180€
If you don’t mind spending a bit more for your hotel, the Roman Holidays Boutique Hotel is an amazing choice.
The rooms are luxurious and well decorated, some of them even have a spa and a great view over the city. In addition, the rooms are very quiet.
It’s well located, at only 200 m from Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica and 900 m from Piazza Barberini and the Quirinal Palace.
A great place to stay in Rome with your lover!
The 7 best places to stay in Rome on a budget
Where to stay in Rome on a budget?
In this article, I gave you suggestions about the best places to stay in Rome depending on what you want to visit and the area. If you’re on a budget, here are the best cheap hotels in Rome:
- L’Ostello Des Artistes isn’t a classic hostel: the rooms are spacious and rustically decorated. It’s easy to forget it’s a youth hostel! It offers private rooms or dormitories, starting at 23€ per night. The staff is very friendly and the 2 metro lines and the train station are located a few minutes away. That’s very convenient to visit the city. A great place to stay in Rome for a low price.
- If you have a car, the Camping Village Rome, located away from the city center is a great place to stay. You can rent bungalows for only 30€ per night! They are modern, clean, with everything you will need to enjoy your stay. They really offer an amazing value for money! Vatican City is at only 15 minutes, and there is even a swimming pool. Definately the best place to stay in Rome with family if you’re on a budget.
- In Termini district, RomeHello is a great youth hostel, comfortable, with a hearty buffet breakfast and a very friendly staff. Located 1 km from the Trevi fountain and a few minutes from a metro station, the great location will allow you to visit the city on foot without worrying about transport. Starting at 38€ per night for a dormitory bed, it’s the one of the best hostel in the center of Rome.
- Casa Romagraziosa is a 44 m² apartment that can accommodate up to 3 people, for only 40€. It’s located in the Trionfale district, so a bit away from the city center. However, a free shuttle service from the Battistini metro station is available upon request. In addition to the fact it’s a full apartment, it offers the advantage of having a balcony and being located in a very quiet area. Perfect to stay in Rome on a budget.
- A bit more expensive but closer to the city center, Nostromondo Apartments Rome City Centre are very popular among tourists and are generally quickly sold out. The apartments and studios are located at 4 different addresses, so be careful when choosing one. However, they are all very well situated: some are 10 minutes walk from the Colosseum and the Roman Forum, while others are close to Piazza Navona. The apartments are modern, there is a washing machine and a microwave oven. And the best part? They are just at 50€ per night. An excellent choice to stay in Rome city center at a low cost.
What’s the best hotel in Rome ?
If you’re looking for the best hotel in Rome, you should stay at the HT6 Hotel Roma. It’s the most beautiful luxury hotel of the city and it’s ideally located in the historical center, one of the best district to visit Rome on foot.
The best hotels in Rome with a swimming pool
If you’re looking for an hotel with a swimming pool in Rome, here are the best ones:
- In ancient Rome district: The Mercure Roma Centro Colosseo is the best hotel with a swimming pool located in the heart of the ancient Rome. The rooftop pool offers a superb view of the colosseum, clearly the best of the city!
- Between the Vatican and Trastevere area: The Gran Melia Rome – The leading hotels of the world is a luxury hotel with 2 outdoor swimming poosl: 1 for the span, and another large one in the garden. One of the most amazing place to stay in Rome.
- In Trastevere district: The grand Hotel Gianocolo has 2 gardens and a huge outdoor swimming pool: you can be sure to swim in peace and quiet. It also has a roof terrace for breakfast with a view of St. Peter’s Basilica. Perfect if you’re looking for a beautiful hotel with a large swimming pool.
- In Termini area: The Building hotel features a great spa with both an indoor and an outdoor pool. And you know the best thing? The hotel is brand new, the rooms are moderns, comfortable and it’s very affordable!
Where to stay in Rome: summary of the best hotels
Here is the recap of the best place to stay in Rome, in each area. You can sort the hotels by price or neighbourhood!
|Piazza Del Gesu Luxury Suites||Historical center||180€|
|Hotel Caravita||Historical center||190€|
|HT6 Hotel Roma||Historical center||260€|
|Il Tempio della Capitale||Ancient Rome||110€|
|Residenze Argileto||Ancient Rome||190€|
|Private Apartment Colsseum||Ancient Rome||200€|
|Pyramid House||Testaccio / Ostiense||80€|
|Hotel Re Testa||Testaccio / Ostiense||100€|
|Hotel Abitart||Testaccio / Ostiense||135€|
|Rhea Silvia Luxury Rooms||Trastevere||135€|
|VOI Donna Camilla Savelli Hotel||Trastevere||250€|
|Vatican Angels Casa Vacanze||Vatican / Borgo / Prati||105€|
|San Pietro Suites||Vatican / Borgo / Prati||130€|
|Residenza Paolo VI||Vatican / Borgo / Prati||250€|
|Hotel Villa Porpora||Villa Borghese||88€|
|Relais Via Veneto||Villa Borghese||110€|
|Hotel Villa Linneo||Villa Borghese||180€|
|Central Domus Roma||Termini||100€|
|Le Vinci House||Termini||120€|
|Roman Holidays Boutique Hotel||Termini||180€|
|L'Ostello des Artistes||Cheap hotel||23€|
|Camping Village Roma||Cheap hotel||30€|
|Rome Hello||Cheap hotel||38€|
|Casa Romagraziosa||Cheap hotel||40€|
|Nostromondo Apartments Rome City Centre||Cheap hotel||50€|
|Mercure Roma Centro Colosseo||Hotel with swimming pool||200€|
|Gran Melia Rome||Hotel with swimming pool||400€|
|Grand Hotel Gianocolo||Hotel with swimming pool||170€|
|Hotel The Building||Hotel with swimming pool||170€|
And you, where do you want to stay during your trip to Rome?
🚗 Rent a car
🗽 Book entrance tickets and guided visits
🏄 Book your sports activities
🚤 Book your rental boat
🌍 Take a travel insurance
🙎 Book a tour
🚅 Book your train tickets
✈️ Book your flight
You’re traveling in Italy? These articles will help you!
Discover all my articles about Italy: All my articles to help you plan your trip to Italy are listed there.