The 30 Best Places to Stay in Crete: My Selection
So, you’re going to Crete and you’re wondering where to stay?
I am here to help!
As the island is quite big, it’s very important to choose your accommodation according to the places you want to visit during your trip to Crete.
To help you out, I have prepared a guide of the best cities and hotels to stay in Crete according to your budget and the places/beaches you want to see.
This Crete hotels guide is divided into 2 sections: West and East of the island, then by cities.
So, where to stay in Crete?
- The 30 Best Places to Stay in Crete: My Selection
- Where to stay in West Crete
- Where to stay in East Crete
- Where to stay in Crete: summary of the best hotels
- Renting a boat in Crete
- You’re traveling to Crete? These articles will help you!
Where to stay in West Crete
We will start with my selection of the best hotels to stay in West Crete.
In this section you will find suggestions for accommodation at:
If you are looking for accommodation to stay in East Crete, directly go to the second part of the article by clicking here!
Where to stay in Chania, in the North-West of Crete
If you want to travel to West Crete, the best way is to go to Chania. It is the best serviced city in this part of Crete.
During your visit to Chania, you will discover:
- The old town and its picturesque alleyways with its many shops and restaurants
- The Old Venetian port and its houses with colourful façades
- The covered market where you can stock up on good local products
- Fort Firkas, that houses the maritime museum.
I will give you all the details to visit Chania in my article: The best things to see and do in Chania?
Here is my selection of the best hotels to stay in Chania, in the West of Crete
- Cocoon City Hostel: Youth hostel located in the heart of Chania. Dormitory bed from 18€, breakfast at 5€. Strong points: cleanliness, ambience, warm welcome.
- Kedrissos Hotel: Located 2 km from the historical centre of Chania. Comfortable and warm double room with balcony from 70€, breakfast included. Strong points: swimming pool, cleanliness, friendly staff, excellent breakfast
- Irida Hotel: Located 20 minutes on foot from the historical centre. Double room with balcony and sea view from 80€, breakfast included. Strong points: friendly staff, close to the beach, ideal location to explore Chania on foot.
- Royal Sun: Located between Chania and the Akrotiri peninsula. Modern and comfortable double room with balcony/terrace and sea/pool or garden view from 90€, breakfast included. Strong points: quiet, beautiful pool area with views over Chania, private parking, variety of breakfast options, shuttle to the city centre. It’s my favorite for its setting and excellent value for money!
- Kydon The Heart City Hotel: Located close to the covered market. Spacious rooms with balcony and comfortable bedding from 130€, breakfast at 15€. Strong points: the location, the excellent breakfast, the warm welcome and the parking. This is my recommendation for an upscale stay in Chania!
- Chania Flair Deluxe Boutique Hotel: Located 10 minutes from the Old Venetian Port, this 5* hotel offers sumptuous rooms from 250€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: Spa and wellness area, excellent location, exceptional breakfast, valet service, private beach. This is my recommendation for a luxury stay in Chania!
Where to stay near Balos Beach
Balos Beach, also called Balos Lagoon, is a 90 minute drive west of Chania.
With its turquoise waters and its white sands, it is definitely one of the most beautiful beaches to go to Crete.
If you don’t feel like going back and forth during the day or you just want to enjoy the places for longer, booking accommodation nearby is a great choice when staying in Crete.
To organise your visit to Balos Beach, you’ll find all the information here: Visit the lagoon of Balos.
Accommodation around Balos
Balos Beach Hotel
This is the closest hotel to the lagoon. In addition to offering a superb panoramic view of the sea, it has a jacuzzi and a pool area.
You will be staying in truly spacious and modern rooms, all with a balcony and a kitchenette.
To book your stay at the Balos Beach Hotel and check the rates for your travel dates, click on the button below:
Stay in Kissamos and take the boat to Balos
For those who want to go on a cruise in Balos, you must stay in Kissamos so that you can easily catch the boat.
Here is my selection of the best accommodations to stay in Kissamos:
- Revekka Rooms: Located 3 km from the port. Spacious and bright double room from 50€. Strong points: private parking, very warm welcome, very clean.
- Christina Beach Hotel: Located just on the edge of Kissamos beach. Double room with sea or pool view from 60€, breakfast at 12€. Strong points: location, swimming pool, friendly staff.
- Hotel Peli: Located just next to the beach. Warm and comfortable double room from 65€, breakfast at 10€. Strong points: large swimming pool, hearty homemade breakfast, kind owners who run this hotel with their family. An excellent choice to stay near Balos Beach!
- Nautilus Bay Hotel: Also located on the seashore. Studios and apartments with balcony and kitchen area from 90€. Strong points: excellent location, spacious room, swimming pool, hearty breakfast.
- Sapphire Horizon Suites: Located 3 km from Kissamos port, the hotel is brand new and offers modern, tastefully decorated suites with balconies starting at 120€. Strong points: welcome basket with fruits and wine offered, quality of service and equipment, design of the hotel, beautiful swimming pool. This is my recommendation for an upscale stay in Balos!
Where to stay in Elafonissi (South-West Crete)
Elafonissi is also known for being one of the most beautiful beaches in the West Crete. It is renowned for the pink colour of its sands, which contrasts beautifully with the translucent waters and the surrounding rocks.
Elafonissi’s pink beach is about a 90-minute drive south of Chania.
To have all the practical information and know how to get there, you must read my article: Visit Elafonissi.
Planning to spend a night in Elafonissi during your stay in Crete is an excellent idea if you want to enjoy a beautiful sunset and the beach without the crowds at the end of the day or early morning.
Here is my selection of the best accommodation in Elafonissi
Hotel Elafonissi Resort
The hotel is ideally located as it is only a 5 minute walk from the beach.
It offers rooms with a fancy, modern, and pleasant decor. They all have a balcony or terrace. You can also choose a studio/bungalow and have a kitchenette.
To book your stay at the Elafonisi Resort and check the rates on your travel dates, click on the button below:
Other hotels near Elafonissi
- Lafo Rooms: Located 1 km from Elafonissi. Modern double room with comfortable bedding from 80€. Strong points: kind hosts, cleanliness, ample breakfast, location 10 mins on foot from the beach.
- Cretan Fleur Apartments: Located towards the monastery of Chrysoskalitissas, 5 minutes by car from the beach. New, bright and well-equipped apartments from 119€ per night. Strong points: terraces with magnificent views, comfort, friendly owners. A great choice for its value for money!
- Glykeria Hotel: Located 4.5 km from Elafonissi. Spacious, modern and comfortable double room with balcony and sea view from 140€, breakfast at 13€. Strong points: swimming pool, friendly staff, excellent breakfast and food quality. The best hotel near Elafonissi for an upscale stay in Crete!
Where to stay near the Samaria Gorge
The Samaria Gorge hike is one of the most famous spots on the island. If you are planning a route in West Crete, you absolutely must include it on your agenda.
The starting point is from Xyloskalo, a 1-hour drive from Chania.
However, as the hike does does not circle back, and as the trail is 16 km long, you will have to take a boat + a bus to get to the car park at the end of the day, it might be a good idea to spend the night nearby.
Here is my selection of the best hotels around Samaria
Stay in Omalos before or after the Samaria hike
If you do not want to drive too far in the morning to reach the Samaria Gorge from Chania, for example, you must book accommodation in the village of Omalos, which is located near Xyloskalo.
You will then be able to reach the Gorge to go hiking early in the morning.
On the other hand, it is also a good option to stay in Crete if you are too tired after the hike and do not want to drive to Chania in the evening.
- Neos Omalos Hotel: Rustic but very clean and comfortable double room with mountain view from €55 per night, breakfast included. Strong points: authenticity of the hotel, home-cooked cuisine, hearty breakfast, free shuttle to the entrance of the Gorge.
- To Exari: Mountain-style double room with wooden furniture, a little basic, from €55 per night, breakfast included. Strong points: superb welcome, shuttle to the Gorge, excellent dinner.
- Omalos Village: the hotel has 3 stone buildings that can each accommodate up to 6 people, from €120 per night, including breakfast. Strong points: swimming pool, peaceful atmosphere, magnificent setting.
Stay in Agia Roumeli after the Samaria hike
If you don’t feel like taking the boat back right after your hike (or if you’ve missed it! 😅 ), you can spend the night in Agia Roumeli.
There are several hotels and B&Bs that offer simple but clean rooms and for the most part with a splendid sea view.
These are small family bed and breakfasts, run by adorable people. They serve excellent breakfast made of local products. Prices are around 40€ – 60€ per night.
Here is my list of the best places to stay in Agia Roumeli:
Where to stay in Rethymnon
Rethymnon is located halfway on the road between Chania and Heraklion.
To stay in Rethymnon, here are my recommendations:
- A walk through the old town and along the Old Port
- Visit to the Rethymnon fortress
- Take a break at one of the nearby beaches
- A boat trip with a stop for snorkeling or a sunset cruise
- Explore the churches and mosques of the city, heritage of the Venetian and Ottoman times
- A quad bike trip in the Cretan mountains
- Exploring the surroundings: the Arkadi monastery, the Melidoni cave, the pottery village of Margarites.
To visit Rethymnon, you can find all details in my article: The best things to see and do in Rethymnon?
The best accommodations in Rethymnon, in North Crete
- Elina Hotel Apartments: Located next to the port and close to the beach of Rethymnon. Apartments with lounge and kitchenette from 50€ per night. Strong points: location, cleanliness, friendly staff.
- Omiros Boutique Hotel: Located 50 metres from the beach. Modern and tastefully decorated double room from 75€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: jacuzzi, swimming pool, comfortable rooms. It’s my favorite hotel for its excellent value for money in Rethymnon!
- Bellagio Luxury Boutique Hotel: Located next to the archaeological museum. Warm and comfortable double room, mix of modern and ancient from 75€, breakfast at 8€. Strong points: perfect location to visit Rethymnon, generous breakfast, quality of the bedding.
- Menta City Boutique Hotel: Located 10 minutes walk from the old town. Bright and spacious double room with balcony from 125€, breakfast included. Strong points: swimming pool, excellent homemade breakfast, the rooftop and its view over Rethymnon.
- Atlantis Beach Hotel: 5* hotel located 1.5 km from the historical centre and just next to the beach. The hotel offers elegant rooms with a balcony and sea views from 150€, breakfast included. Strong points: private beach, swimming pool, great staff. This is my recommendation for a luxury stay in Rethymnon!
Where to stay in Plakias
Plakias is a small seaside resort in the south-west of Crete, not far from the famous beach of Preveli and the monastery of the same name.
If you are staying in Plakias, you can take a shuttle boat that will take you to Preveli or to take a boat trip including a visit to several beaches and swimming.
And I had one of the best meals on the island at Plakias. You must go to the Corner Soulvaki and have their grilled meat platter (chicken, pork, beef, lamb, pitas, grilled cheese, chips, several home-made sauces) for only €19 for 2! A true treat!
Here is my selection of the best hotels in Plakias
- Ikaros Studios: located 1 km from Plakias. Studios and apartments for up to 4 people from €65. Strong points: the swimming pool, car park, located among olive trees. This is the ideal place to stay with your family in Crete!
- Horizon Beach Hotel: located at the end of the town, a 5 minute walk from the restaurants. Double room with a simple decor but very clean and balcony overlooking the sea from €70, breakfast at €7. Strong points: quiet, private parking, view.
- Alianthos Garden: located just opposite the beach. Spacious and comfortable double room from €135, breakfast and dinner included. Strong points: the staff, swimming pool, excellent food.
Where to stay in East Crete
Want to know where to stay when in East Crete?
Here is my selection of the best hotels to stay in Crete (East of the island) with suggestions of accommodation at:
Where to stay in Heraklion (North-East Crete)
The best choice to start a tour of East Crete is to arrive at Heraklion as the city has an international airport.
Here are some things to do in Heraklion:
- Visit the archaeological museum of Heraklion , the most visited museum on the island
- Walks along the alleys of the archaeological site of the Palace of Knossos
- Explore the Koules fortress
- Walk around the old town and its narrow streets lined with restaurants and shops
- A boat trip with BBQ and swimming
Please read my article on Heraklion to get all the details: Visit Heraklion.
The best hotels to stay in East Crete, near Heraklion
- Intra Muros Hostel: Hostel located a 5-minute walk from the old town. Dormitory bed from 21€. Strong points: comfortable, warm welcome, cleanliness, roof terrace. The best choice for cheap accommodation in Heraklion!
- Kronos Hotel: Located just next to Heraklion fortress. Double room with impeccable cleanliness and balcony (some with a sea view) from 65€, breakfast included. Strong points: the location is perfect for visiting Heraklion, good breakfast and friendly staff.
- Atrion Hotel: Located in the historical centre. Comfortable and warm double room with balcony from 85€, breakfast included. Strong points: excellent location and excellent breakfast. It’s my favorite hotel for its excellent value for money in Heraklion!
- DOM Boutique Hotel: Located in the heart of the old town. Modern, spacious and elegantly decorated double room from 110€, breakfast included. Strong points: excellent breakfast, attentive staff, setting, very good bedding. This is my recommendation for an upscale stay in Heraklion!
- GDM Megaron: This 5-star hotel is also located in the centre of Heraklion, not far from the Venetian port. The hotel offers beautiful rooms with a balcony from 190€, breakfast included. Strong points: rooftop swimming pool, wellness area, exceptional breakfast, great staff. This is my recommendation for a luxury stay in Heraklion!
Where to stay in Elounda
You can plan to spend one or two nights in Elounda on your trip to Crete.
From the port of Elounda, a small seaside resort located 1 hour away from Heraklion, you can take a boat to visit the island of Spinalonga. The island is very well known since the publication of the novel “The Island”, which has also been adapted into a series very successfully.
It has a fortress built by the Venetians, an old leper colony, a hospital, a church. It also offers beautiful views of the coast.
In Elounda, you’ll find another magnificent beach to see in Crete: Kolokitha beach and its turquoise waters.
Where to stay in Elounda
- Adrakos Apartments (Adults Only): Located on the road between Agios Nikolaos and Elounda. Cosy and comfortable studios and apartments, with kitchenette, from €50 per night, breakfast at €11. Strong points: unobstructed view of the entire bay, swimming pool, comfortable beds.
- Elounda George Studios: Located at the entrance of Elounda on arrival from Agios Nikolaos. Studio rooms for 2 people with kitchenette and balcony from €55 per night. Strong points: cleanliness, facilities, warm welcome.
- Kalypso Suites Hotel: Located in the centre of Elounda. Modern double room with fancy decor from €80 per night. Strong points: location, comfortable rooms, very nice owner. It’s my favorite for its excellent value for money in Elounda!
- Elounda Akti Olous (Adults Only): Located at the end of Elounda, towards the peninsula. Modern double room with sea or garden view from €90, breakfast included. Strong points: the rooftop with its swimming pool and bar, private parking, good breakfast, private beach.
- Elounda Heights (Adults Only): Located in the mountains of Elounda. Studio and apartment with sea view from €95, breakfast at €8. Strong points: the view, excellent breakfast, swimming pool and beautiful garden.
Elounda is a well-known seaside resort and the place where you will find the best luxury hotels on the island.
Here is my selection of the most beautiful 5* hotels in Elounda for your 2-week stay in Crete:
- Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel: This luxury hotel offers spacious rooms with sea view and a large terrace from €185 per night, including breakfast. Strong points: private beach, large swimming pool with a magnificent view, friendly staff.
- Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection: Magnificent suites with very elegant decoration, some with jacuzzi or private swimming pools starting from €250 per night, breakfast included. Strong points: splendid Spa, the beach, the view, superb location.
- Blue Palace Elounda, a Luxury Resort: Luxury bungalow with sea view and lounge area from €300, breakfast included. Strong points: the 2000m² spa and its facilities (hammams, saunas, jacuzzi, indoor swimming pools), private beach, excellent restaurants.
- Cayo Exclusive Resort Spa: Superior room with private pool from €330, breakfast included. Strong points: heated pool, calm atmosphere, excellent breakfast, attentive staff. This is my recommendation for a luxury stay in Crete!
Where to stay in Sitia
Sitia is one of the best places to stay when travelling to East Crete.
From Sitia you can:
- Explore the Richtis waterfall, located in the Gorge of the same name
- Swim at Vai beach. Bordered by a palm grove, it is one of the most beautiful beaches of this part of the island.
- Hike in the Zakros Gorge, nicknamed “The Gorge of the Dead”
- Go to Xerokampos and enjoy a succession of beaches and coves, each more beautiful than the last.
Where to stay in Sitia, to the far East of Crete
- Nora Hotel: Located in the port of Sitia. Very simple and basic room starting from €35. Strong points: cleanliness, very kind owner, sea-view.
- Hotel Petras Beach: Located just opposite the beach. Nice and spacious room from €45. Strong points: the beautiful garden and its flowery terrace, friendly staff, close to the sea.
- Hotel El Greco: Located in the centre of Sitia. Comfortable and warm double room with balcony from €50. Strong points: warm welcome, calm atmosphere, view.
- Sitia Beach: Located in the bay of Sitia. 5* hotel with very spacious and bright double rooms with balcony, from €120 per night, breakfast included. Strong points: swimming pool, spa with sauna, hammam, jacuzzi, private beach, location. My favourite for its excellent value for money!
- Oceanides Luxury Apartments: Located 3 km away from the centre. 2 bedroom, well-equipped, and spacious apartments from €250. Strong points: superbly maintained garden, magnificent pool area, perfect welcome from the owner, peace and comfort. The pefect choice for a luxury stay!
Where to stay in Ierapetra, in the south-east of Crete
If you want to visit the island of Chrissi, staying in Ierapetra is an excellent choice.
You can take the boat to the island in the morning and return in the late afternoon. Chrissi is mainly known for its beautiful sandy beach called Golden Beach.
The best hotels to stay in Ierapetra – East Crete
- Coral Hotel: located just next to the beach. Well-lit double room, with balcony overlooking the sea from €55 per night. Strong points: location, welcoming atmosphere, comfortable beds.
- Galaxy Hotel: located 100 metres from the port. Modern and comfortable double room from €60 per night, breakfast included. Strong points: good breakfast, friendly staff, free private parking. This was our favourite place to stay in Ierapetra.
- El Greco Hotel: located on the seafront. Spacious double room with balcony from €90, breakfast included. Strong points: the view, excellent breakfast, warm welcome.
- Tylissos Beach Hotel: located just near the beach. Warm and comfortable double room, balcony with sea or garden view, from €110, breakfast included. Strong points: swimming pool, private beach, friendliness of the staff. A beautiful hotel where you can have a romantic stay in Crete!
- Enorme Santanna Beach: located 200 metres from the beach, this hotel offers beautiful rooms with very elegant decor with balcony or terrace from €200, including breakfast and dinner. Strong points: beautiful swimming pool area, tasteful decor, private beach, peace and quiet. This is our recommendation for a luxury hotel in Ierapetra!
Where to stay in Matala
Matala is a small seaside resort located to the south of Heraklion, 1 hour by car.
It’s convenient to stay there for one night at the end of your itinerary in East Crete before resuming your return flight from Heraklion for example.
That is what I recommend in itinerary which you can view here:
- Itinerary: 7 days in Crete – Itinerary to visit East Crete in 1 week
You can visit the caves dug in the cliffs overlooking the sea, which served as tombs during the Roman period before hippies squatted there in the 60s.
Matala also has 2 beaches.
Accommodation in Matala
- Hotel Orama Matala: Located 10 minutes on foot from the centre. Double room, simple but comfortable, from €55, breakfast included. Strong points: the warm welcome, calm atmosphere, swimming pool.
- Matala Bay Hotel Apartments: Located 500 metres from the beach. Spacious double room with comfortable bedding from €70, breakfast included. Strong points: location, swimming pool, excellent breakfast.
- Nikos Hotel: Located 100 metres from the beach. Double room with balcony from €70. Strong points: warm welcome, private parking, near the beach
- Valley Village: Located 15 minutes on foot from the centre of Matala. Double room from €60 or bungalow suite at €80, breakfast included. The suites are super spacious, with 2 terraces and a jacuzzi. Strong points: swimming pool, quiet atmosphere, private parking, full breakfast. It’s my favorite for its excellent value for money in Matala!
Where to stay in Crete: summary of the best hotels
To give you a better idea of which hotels to stay in Crete, I have made a chart that summarizes all the hotels I discussed in this article. You can sort them by price or by city!
Renting a boat in Crete
If you want to rent a boat for a nice day at sea during your stay in Crete, you should book it with Samboat.
Motorboats, sailboats, yachts, small boats without a license, with or without a skipper: they simply have the most complete offer for boat rental!
So, what are you waiting for to book your boat trip in Crete? 😊
So where do you plan to stay when you visit Crete?
🚗 Rent a car
🗽 Book entrance tickets and guided visits
🏄 Book your sports activities
🚤 Book your rental boat
🌍 Take a travel insurance
🙎 Book a tour
⛴️ Book your ferry tickets in Greece
🚅 Book your train tickets
✈️ Book your flight
You’re traveling to Crete? These articles will help you!
Discover all my articles about Crete: All my articles to help you plan your trip to Crete are listed there.
- 27 Best things to do in Crete: All the best places to visit and activities
- Itinerary: 4-5 days in Crete – Itinerary to prepare a short stay in East or West Crete
- Itinerary: One week in Crete – The perfect itinerary to visit Western Crete
- Itinerary: 7 days in Crete – The best itinerary to visit East Crete in 1 week
- Itinerary: 10 days in Crete – How to visit Crete in 10 days
- Itinerary: 2 weeks in Crete – The perfect itinerary for 14-15 days in Crete
- Road trip to Crete: The best itineraries for 5, 7, 10 and 15 days
- Chania: The 15 best places to discover
- Heraklion: TOP 13 places to visit
- Rethymnon: The 13 best things to do
- Balos Beach: All my best tips to visit Balos Lagoon!
- Elafonissi Beach: The definitive guide to discover Crete’s famous pink sand beach
- Palace of Knossos: The definitive guide to visit the most famous archaeological site of Crete
- Samaria Gorge: How to plan the best hike in Crete
- Where to stay in Crete? The guide to the best hotels, ordered by city and budget