Greek islands: The best 10 days Itinerary in the Cyclades
You’re planning to go 10 days in Greek islands? You’re looking for the best Cyclades itinerary?
You’re at the right place!
In order to help you plan your stay, I have prepared for you this 10 days itinerary in the Cyclades islands. During your 9, 10 or 11 days trip, you will visit some of the most beautiful Greek islands.
In this guide, in addition to the best things to do on each islands, I will also give you all my best tips and accommodation suggestions depending on your budget. You will see, organizing your trip will be super simple!
So, what’s the best 10 days Greek islands hopping itinerary?
- Greek islands: The best 10 days Itinerary in the Cyclades
- 1) Santorini (3 days)
- 2) Amorgos (3 days)
- 3) Naxos (3 days)
- 4) Return to Santorini (1 day)
- 7 Tips to plan your ferry trips in the Cyclades
- Greece Tours
- Renting a boat in the Cyclades
- You’re traveling to Greece ? These articles will help you !
1) Santorini (3 days)
If you want to visit the Cyclades in 9-10 days, the best is to land directly in Santorini. There is an international airport on the island, so it’s much faster to arrive directly rather than flying to Athens and then taking a ferry to Santorini.
During your 3 days stay in Santorini, if you want to visit the whole island, you will have to rent a car. The great thing is that all parking spaces are free on the island.
If you’re thinking of taking the bus to discover Santorini, I wouldn’t recommend it. They are really crowded, they often don’t stop (as they are full!) and they don’t go everywhere.
With a single click, you can easily compare all rental cars agencies prices in Santorini’s airport. Then you just have to choose the one that suits you best.
When booking a car, don’t forget the Full Protection Insurance. It’s the only way to get refunded in case of accident or theft. As the island is really busy and has a lot of narrow streets, it’s highly recommended!
If you already have your travel dates for your 10 days Greek islands itinerary, you can book your car right now to get the best prices. It won’t commit you to anything, as you can modify or cancel your booking for free.
As Santorini is a very touristic island, it’s better to book your car as early as possible.
Just click the button below to compare car rental prices for 3 days in Santorini:
Now that you’ve got your car, it’s time to start this 9-10 days trip in the Cyclades.
For your 1st day in Santorini, drive to Fira. Fira is one of the most typical Cycladic villages, with its white and blue houses, chic small shops and hotels with infinity pools.
When you visit Fira, you don’t have to follow an itinerary: just wander in the alleys and enjoy the view of the Caldera!
The main walking street will take you to Firostefani and Imerovigli, the 2 adjacent villages. If you feel like hiking a bit, you can continue on the walking trail that goes from Imerovigli to Oia town. This 2 hours hike is clearly the most beautiful in Santorini.
If you don’t feel like walking, you can also take back your car and drive to Oia.
Once in Oia, visit the village and its numerous small shops, bars and restaurant.
I really recommend you to stay there until sunset, as it’s the best place to admire it in Santorini.
For your 2nd day, how about a boat trip around the island? It’s one of the best things to do in Santorini.
During this cruise, you will have 3 stops:
- The first one in Nea Kameni, an island close to Santorini where there is an active volcano. You will get some time to climb to the top of the crater!
- Another at Palea Kameni hot springs, to go swimming.
- Then you will go to Therasia, the island located right in front of Santorini.
As all tourists wants to do this cruise, you need to book it in advance. For more detailed information, just click the button below:
There is also a more romantic version of this tour. You will spend your day on a catamaran, and even watch the sunset over Santorini from the boat.
For your 3rd and last day in Santorini, you should do a road trip to explore the rest of the island.
Here are some of the best things to do:
- Visit the other beautiful villages of the island: Pyrhos, Megalohori and Emporio.
- Taste Santorini’s best wines during an oenology tour in a small group. You can book it right here!
- Discover 2 ancient sites, if you’re an history lover: Akrotiri and the Ancient Thera.
- End your day at the beach: the most famous are the Red Beach, Kamani and Perissa. For a quieter place, go to Monolithos beach!
- Spend the night in Santorini, before taking the ferry the next morning.
If you want more information about the best things to do in Santorini, you should read my article: Visit Santorini: the definitive guide.
Where to stay in Santorini
You must know that staying in Santorini, especially in the villages of the caldera like Oia and Fira, is quite expensive.
If you want a less expensive accommodation, it’s better to choose a hotel outside these 2 cities.
And of course, even more in Santorini than in any other place, book your hotels as early as possible!
To help you choose, I have made a selection of the best hotels in Santorini, depending on where you want to stay and your budget.
Best hotels in Oia
- Aethrio Hotel: Located in Oia, only a few steps away from the main square. You can rent double rooms, studio flats or apartments with balcony for most of them. The price starts from 160€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the swimming pool, the large rooms, the rooftop to admire the sunset. It’s one of the cheapest places in Oia, and it offers a great value for money!
- Caldera Premium Villas: Located in the centre of Oia. You will love the troglodyte suites with a breathtaking view of the sea and the caldera, starting from 290€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the design of the rooms, and the location.
- Theodora Suites Apartment: Located in the heart of the city. Studio flats with small kitchen, fridge, private terrace and hot tub, starting from 350€, breakfast included. What I loved: the hot tubs, the breathtaking view, the kind staff.
- Andronis Boutique Hotel: 5-star hotel located in Oia. You’ll enjoy large suites with a view of the caldera, private balcony and private hot tub or pool, starting from 800€ with breakfast included. Strong points: the idyllic scenery and the calm. It’s my recommendation for a one-week romantic stay in Greece!
- Katikies Hotel – The Leading Hotels of the World: This luxurious hotel offers rooms and suites with a great view, bathtub and spa. The price starts from 1000€ with breakfast included. What I loved: the pools, the spas, the splendid views and the food! It’s my recommendation for a luxury stay in Santorini!
Best hotels in Fira
- Galatia Villas: Located 10 minutes away from Fira’s city centre. The double rooms are quite basic but nice, and the price starts from only 80€ per night. Strong points: the hot tub on the roof, the kind staff, the great value for money for Santorini.
- Lilium Santorini Villa: Located on the edge of the caldera. These elegant and modern double rooms with sea view are available starting from 315€, breakfast included. What I loved: the pool, the exceptionnal location, the warm and welcoming staff.
- Cosmopolitan Suites – Small Luxury Hotels of the World: Located in the heart of Fira. You will enjoy lovely rooms with private balcony, decorated in the purest Cycladian style, starting from 550€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the infinity pool over the cliff, and the luxury hotel services. This is the perfect place to stay with your lover in Santorini!
- Aria Suites: Located in Fira, this high standard hotel offers only 6 suites and luxury villas, fully equipped (you even get a laptop), starting from 700€ per night. What I loved: the magnificent place, the pool and the staff availability. This is a great choice for a luxurious and romantic stay in Fira!
Other best places to stay in Santorini Island
- Memories Beach Hotel: Located just accross Monolithos beach. These comfortable modern rooms starts from 65€ per night, with breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the calm and the adorable staff.
- Rose Suites: Located in Vourvoulos, only 4 kilometers away from Fira. Those studio flats and apartments are well equiped and decorated, with a small kitchen and a private terrace. The prices are starting from 75€ per night. What I loved: the pool, the calm, the decoration. The fridge is also full with everything you need for breakfast. This is the best choice in Santorini for its exceptional value for money!
- Hippocampus Hotel: Located in Kamari, only 50 meters away from the beach. The rooms, with a view on the swimming pool or the garden, are starting from 85€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the ideal location close to the beach, and the really kind staff.
- Meltemi Village Hotel: Located in Perissa, only 5 minutes away from the Black beach. The rooms and suites with hot tubs are starting from 100€ per night, with the breakfast included. What I loved: the pools, the spa, and the great breakfast. A great choice for a stay on Santorini’s shore!
2) Amorgos (3 days)
For the next stage of your 9, 10 or 11 days itinerary in the Cyclades, let’s discover the island of Amorgos.
From Santorini, the ferry will take you to Amorgos in less than an hour.
You will need to book your ferry tickets in advance. If you want more information about rates and schedules, you can click the button below. (You will need this website to plan your journeys to the next islands, so keep it in your bookmarks!)
When you will arrive in Amorgos, start by renting a car. You can’t book it in advance using Rentalcars.com, as there are no affiliated car rental agencies yet. However, you can rent your car directly at the port. All the prices are similar.
For your 1st day in Amorgos, you can start with a walk in Katapola, the main port of the island.
Then, take your car and go to Hora, the capital. There, you can also go on a little stroll above the village to see the windmills. If you’re hungry, try one of the typical taverns: you’ll love the food and atmosphere!
After Hora, let’s drive around Amorgos to visit some of the best points of interest. You will start with the Monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa, built under a cliff and overlooking the sea. You can visit the inside of the Monastery, but you will need to be dressed properly! No worries however: if you don’t have long pants or your shoulders aren’t covered, you can borrow some clothes at the entrance.
Outside the Monastery, drive on the road down to the seaside. You will reach a parking lot and Agia Ana cove. If you’re a fan of “The Big Blue” movie, you will recognize the place where the young Jacques Mayol dives. Don’t miss the souvenir photo!
End your day at the Kalotaritissa Beach to go swimming. On the road getting there, you can stop to discover a ship wreck also seen in “The Big Blue”.
Amorgos is considered as one of the best islands in the Cyclades for hiking lovers. There are many marked trails, of various lengths and difficulty levels.
During the next 2 days of your 10 days trip in the Greek islands, just hike and discover the best of Amorgos.
If you want to know more about the trails and choose your itineraries, go on Amorgos’ official website.
Most itineraries will include very nice beaches and coves to go swimming.
And for more information about Amorgos, you can read my article: The 8 best things to do in Amorgos.
Where to stay in Amorgos
When you visit Amorgos, you can stay in one of the 2 main cities: Katapola and Aegiali. Choose between the 2 according to your port of departure!
Here is a selection of the best places to stay in Amorgos:
Best hotels in Katapola
- Amorgion Hotel: Located 1km from the port of Katapola, and at only 8-minute walk from the beach. The double rooms with private balcony, and a view of the Aegean Sea for some of them, are starting from 50€ per night, with an 8€ breakfast. Strong points: the pool, the private free parking, the warm welcome. It’s the only hotel with a swimming pool in Katapola!
- Barbara Pension: Located 5 minutes away from the beach, right next to the port of Katapola. The studio flats are equipped with a sink, a fridge and also have a balcony. The prices are starting from 55€per night. Strong points: the cleanliness, the quietness, the very kind owner!
- Diasino Studios: Located close to the port. The studio flats and apartments are modern, with terrace or balcony. The prices are starting from 60€ with a 5€ breakfast. What I loved: the calm, the location close to all the restaurants. It’s the best value for money in Katapola!
- Landeris Hotel: Located 3 minutes away from the beach, and close to the port. The rooms, studio flats and apartments are decorated in a rustic style, with wooden furniture. The prices are starting from 60€ per night with breakfast included. Strong points: the kindness of the owners, the delicious breakfast, the great advice!
- Minoa Hotel: Located 100m from the beach, close to the port. The bright and large double rooms, with balcony are starting from 80€ per night including breakfast. Strong points: the kind staff, the great breakfast.
Best hotels in Aegiali
- Pelagos: Located only 3 minutes from the beach and 100m from the port of Aegiali. The double rooms with balcony and sea view are starting from 35€ per night, with a 5€ breakfast. Strong points: the view, the welcome directly at your boat, the copious breakfast.
- Aelia Studios: Located on the sea side. The modern and cosy studio flats, equipped with a small kitchen with an oven and hotplates are starting from 60€ per night. What I loved: the design and the charm of the apartments, the location. It’s the best value for money in Aegiali!
- Vigla Hotel: Located 10 minutes away from the beach, in Tholaria, above Aegiali. The modern and bright large rooms are starting from 110€per night, with breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the copious breakfast, the comfort, the quietness, the great restaurant. If you are looking for a nice hotel with a swimming pool in Amorgos, you should definitely try the Vigla!
- Aegialis Hotel & Spa: Located above Aegiali, this 5-star hotel (the only one in Amorgos) offers comfortable rooms with balcony starting from 140€ per night. Strong points: the big pool, the magnificient view of Aegiali and the sea, the spa, the quietness. It’s simply the best hotel in Amorgos!
3) Naxos (3 days)
For the 3rd stage of your 9-10-11 days Cyclades itinerary, you will visit the island of Naxos.
From Amorgos, the ferry takes 1h15 to go to Naxos.
As usual, don’t forget to book your tickets in advance:
You can also book your rental car for 3 days in Naxos. As Naxos is the biggest Cyclades island, you will definitely need a car to visit it.
Once you’ve got your car, let’s continue this 10 days Greek islands itinerary. The first place you will visit is Hora, main city (and port) of the island.
Start your tour and discover Hora’s most iconic landmark: the Portara. It’s the only remain of a temple dedicated to the god Apollo. There, you will enjoy a magnificent view of the island and the surrounding mountains.
In Hora, you should also wander in Kastro district, with its typical Cycladic alleys and its many shops. And if you’re looking for a restaurant or a café, there are plenty on the seaside!
After your walk and a copious lunch break, enjoy your afternoon and relax at one of the West Coast beaches.
The next day, continue your 10 days road trip in the Cyclades with the visit of the most famous mountain villages of Naxos:
- Halki, where you will find many shops, and the only distillery making the local liquor: the Kitron. You can also walk 10 minutes to reach the church of Agios Giorgios Diasorites. Halki is located in the centre of Naxos.
- Filoti, with its many taverns and restaurants, and a beautiful marble church. Close to the village, at “the Aria Spring”, you can hike to the top of Mount Zeus, the highest point of the Cyclades. It takes 1h30 to reach the summit!
- Apiranthos: a very small village. The road to get there is beautiful, you will for sure enjoy the beautiful panoramas of the sea and the mountains.
End your day around Moutsouna, on one of the East Coast beaches.
Spend another night in Naxos.
For your last day in Naxos, you can do a boat trip around Naxos.
This tour includes several stops to go swimming in really beautiful places like Rina Cave or Kalados Beach. From the sea, you will also get a glance at the Small Cyclades and Antiparos.
The 80€ price also includes soft drinks and snorkeling equipment.
If you don’t feel like sailing, you can go to the beach and swim, walk a bit, or see one of Naxos’ curiosities: the Kouros, big unfinished marble statues.
They are located in Apollonas (on the road, before you get to the village) and in Flerio.
Spend a last night in Naxos.
You will find all the practical details to visit Naxos in 3 days in my article: The 10 best things to do in Naxos.
Where to stay in Naxos
If you’re going to visit Naxos, the best is to stay in Hora (the capital city) or its surroundings.
- Anatoli Hotel: Located a 10-minute walk from Naxos centre and the beach. The modern rooms with balcony and a view of the pool or the garden are starting from 45€ with breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the sauna, the hot tub, and the free transfer from the port and the airport.
- The Saint Vlassis: Located only 700m from the city centre and 500m from the Agios Georgios beach. This hotel offers comfortable and large double rooms, with an outdoor hot tub for some of them! The prices are starting from 60€ per night including breakfast. Strong points: the warm welcome, the good breakfast, the free parking. It’s simply the best value for money in Naxos!
- Xenia Hotel: Located in the centre of Naxos. The modern and well equipped double rooms are starting from 70€ with an 8€ breakfast. Strong points: the location in the city centre (really convenient to take the ferry), the kind staff, the comfortable beds.
- Hotel Grotta: Located only 700m from the Portara and 15 minutes from the beach. Those nice and bright double rooms with balcony are starting from 90€ with breakfast included. A great place for a romantic gateway in Naxos!
- Nissaki Beach Hotel: Located on Agios Georgios beach, the closest to Naxos. The double rooms are very well decorated, and with a balcony. The prices are starting from 220€ per night, with breakfast included. What I loved: The pool, the location next to the beach, the amazing breakfast, the staff. It’s the best hotel for a luxury stay in Naxos!
4) Return to Santorini (1 day)
Your 9-10 days Cyclades itinerary is already over!
From Naxos, take a ferry back to Santorini to take your return flight.
7 Tips to plan your ferry trips in the Cyclades
The ferry is the only way to go from an island to another in the Cyclades.
You will find here 7 tips to help you plan your 10 days Greek islands itinerary:
- There are many ferry companies. Depending on the journey time, the prices can vary from simple to double. The fastest boats are the most expensive!
- The Seajet boats are the fastest, but also the smallest. In case of strong wind (and it’s quite often), your trip can be really shaky. It wont be the best option if you are seasick, even if vomit bags are available during your crossing! 🤢
- If you book your tickets in advance, you will get the best prices. You will also choose your time of departure, and even your seats sometimes. During peak season, it’s the safest way to have a seat, as the boats are always full.
- When booking your tickets online, you will get an e-mail confirmation. This confirmation can’t be used as a ticket: you will have to exchange it for a real ticket at the company’s desk, before your departure. Desks are available in every port of the Cyclades. Sometimes it can costs 50 cents or 1€ to get your ticket.
- The ferries connections are regular between June and September, but there are fewer boats during the rest of the year. You have to plan your trip to Greece in advance, to organize your holidays depending on the ferries schedules.
- All the ships are really comfortable, with a bar and a cafeteria.
- The waiting lines for the ferries aren’t well organized. To stay polite, it’s kind of a big mess, as everyone in the crowd is waiting for a different boat. Check the arrival of every boat, to be sure you won’t miss yours, and don’t hesitate to ask the staff several times, especially in Santorini!
Now you know how to organize your Cyclades itinerary! If you have any questions about planning your 9, 10 or 11 days greek island trip, don’t hesitate to ask me in the comments section.
On Voyagetips.com, I give you all my best tips and itineraries to plan your trip to Greece by yourself. (Click here to read all my articles about Greece)
However, if you prefer to book a Greece tour with a travel agency, I recommend you to check the 10 best Greece tours by clicking the button below:
Renting a boat in the Cyclades
If you want to rent a boat for a nice day at sea during your itinerary in the Greek islands, you should book it with Samboat.
Motorboats, sailboats, yachts, small boats without a license, with or without a skipper: they simply have the most complete offer for boat rental.
So, what are you waiting for to book your boat trip in Greece? 😊
🚗 Rent a car
🗽 Book entrance tickets and guided visits
🏄 Book your sports activities
🚤 Book your rental boat
🌍 Take a travel insurance
🙎 Book a tour
⛴️ Book your ferry tickets in Greece
🚅 Book your train tickets
✈️ Book your flight
Greece travel guides
- Buy the Lonely Planet Greece guide on Amazon.com or on Amazon.co.uk
- Buy the DK Eyewitness Greece guide on Amazon.com or on Amazon.co.uk
You’re traveling to Greece ? These articles will help you !
Discover all my articles about Greece: All my articles to help you plan your trip to Greece are listed there.
- The 20 Best Things to do in Greece – The Ultimate Bucket list!
- The 15 Best Things to do in Peloponnese – All the must-see attractions
- Itinerary: 4-5 days in Greece – The perfect itinerary for a short stay in Greece
- Itinerary: 1 week in Greece – The best Itinerary to visit Athens + Santorini!
- Itinerary: 6, 7 or 8 days in Greece – The definitive guide to visit Athens + Peloponnese in a week
- Itinerary: 10 days in Greece – The definitive guide to visit Central Greece in 9-10 days
- Itinerary: 2 weeks in Greece – The best Itinerary to visit Athens + Central Greece + Cyclades (Santorini)
- Itinerary: 3 weeks in Greece – The best Itinerary to visit Athens + Central Greece + even more Cyclades islands!
- Itinerary: 1 month in Greece – The definitive guide to visit Greece in a month!
- Road trip in Greece – The best itineraries for 5, 7, 10, 15, 21 and 30 days.
Cyclades (Greek islands)
- The 15 Best Cyclades Islands to visit – With all the must-see attractions
- Amorgos: The 8 best places to see
- Andros: The 7 must-see attractions and activities
- Naxos: Top 10 things to do
- Paros: The 10 best places to visit
- Santorini: The definitive guide
- Tinos: The 10 best things to do