Itinerary: One Perfect Week in Greek Islands
You’re planning to go one week in Greek islands for your next trip? You’re looking for the best itinerary?
Then look no further!
In order to help you plan your stay, I have prepared for you this 1 week Greek islands itinerary. During your 6, 7 or 8 days trip, you will visit the world famous Santorini island as well as another island of the Cyclades archipelago such as Amorgos, Paros or Naxos (according to your interests).
In this guide, in addition to the best things to do on each islands, I will also give you all my best tips and accommodation suggestions depending on your budget.
So, what’s the best Greek islands hopping itinerary for 1 week?
- Itinerary: One Perfect Week in Greek Islands
- 1) Santorini (3 days)
- 2) Visit another island in the Cyclades (3 days)
- Greece Tours
- You’re traveling to Greece ? These articles will help you !
1) Santorini (3 days)
If you want to visit the Greek islands (Cyclades) in 1 week, you have to spend a few days in the mythical island of Santorini.
As there is an international airport in Santorini, the easiest way to get to the island is to directly fly there. Not having to take the ferry from Athens will save you 1 full day. Pretty good for a 1 week trip!
Next thing: the best way to visit Santorini in 3 days is to rent a car.
Sure, you can take the bus to go around Santorini, but they are often so crowded that they don’t take passengers anymore. That means you will have to wait for the next one, 30 minutes later and be lucky enough to get a seat this time.
As a result, with the bus, you will waste a lot of time during these 3 days.
If you want to rent a car in Greece, you should use Rentalcars.com website. It’s the one I use every time, as it allows me to easily compare all car rental agencies prices. In just 1 click, you can check the price of all rental cars offers available in Santorini’s Airport for example. Very simple and useful!
When you book your car, don’t forget to choose the Full Protection Insurance to be fully refunded in case of accident or theft – Tested and approved, they refunded me more than 1200 euros in total!
If you already have your travel dates, you should book your car right now to get the best prices. It doesn’t commit you to anything, as modifying or cancelling your booking is free.
Just click the button below to compare the car rental prices for 3 days in Santorini.
So, here is the best itinerary to visit Santorini, the most famous and touristic Greek Island.
On your 1st day, go to Fira, a small town located on the edge of the caldera. It’s one of the 2 most visited villages of the island!
There, you will be amazed by the postcard scenery of this typical Cycladic village. You will for sure fall in love with the white and blue houses and churches.
Walk around the village and follow the walking trail that goes from Fira to Firostefani and Imerovigli to enjoy splendid viewpoints.
If you wish, you can continue on the walking trail that goes from Imerovigli to Oia town.
The view on the caldera is so amazing that you will have to stop and take pictures every 2 minutes! The full Fira to Oia trail is simply the most beautiful hike to do in Santorini.
If you don’t feel like walking, you can also take your car back and drive to Oia.
Oia is the 2nd village you must visit on the island. It’s the best place to admire the sunset in Santorini! If you manage to find a good spot, sit down and don’t leave it 😋. Every evening, thousands of people are coming to Oia to enjoy this magnificent spectacle.
Spend the night in Santorini.
For your 2nd day of your one week Greek islands itinerary, you should do a boat trip around Santorini. The most famous cruise goes to the 3 best places to visit around the island:
- The first stop is Nea Kameni island. There, you can walk to the top of the crater of a still active volcano!
- The next stop of the day will allow you to swim in the hot springs.
- Then you will go to Therasia, the island located right in front of Santorini.
This 37€ per person tour includes the transfer from your hotel, the cruise with an audio guide, and the 3 activities.
As about every tourist visiting Santorini wants to do this cruise (especially during high season), you must book your tour in advance. You can book it online by clicking the button below.
You can also choose a luxury version of the cruise. You will sail on a catamaran and at the end of the day, you will admire the sunset from the sea!
Spend a 2nd night in Santorini
It’s now the 3rd day of your Greek Islands one week itinerary. Today, you will do a road trip in Santorini to visit the rest of the island.
Here are the best things to do:
- Visit the island’s picturesque villages: Pyrgos, Megalohori and Emporio.
- Discover the archaeological sites of Akrotiri (often compared to Pompeii, in Italy), and the Ancient Thera.
- Book an oenology tour in small group (8 people max.) to taste 12 of the best Santorini’s wines. Book it here!
- Relax at the beach. The most famous are:
- The Red Beach, with its ocre cliffs
- Kamari and Perissa beaches, famous for their volcanic black sand
- Monolithos Beach and its shallow waters, the best if you are traveling with children.
Spend one last night in Santorini.
If you want more details about the best things to do in Santorini, you should read my article: Visit Santorini: the definitive guide.
Where to stay in Santorini
You must know that staying in Santorini, especially in the villages of the caldera like Oia and Fira, is quite expensive.
If you want a less expensive accommodation, it’s better to choose a hotel outside these 2 cities.
And of course, even more in Santorini than in any other place, book your hotels as early as possible!
To help you choose, I have made a selection of the best hotels in Santorini, depending on where you want to stay and your budget.
Best hotels in Oia
- Aethrio Hotel: Located in Oia, only a few steps away from the main square. You can rent double rooms, studio flats or apartments with balcony for most of them. The price starts from 160€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the swimming pool, the large rooms, the rooftop to admire the sunset. It’s one of the cheapest places in Oia, and it offers a great value for money!
- Caldera Premium Villas: Located in the centre of Oia. You will love the troglodyte suites with a breathtaking view of the sea and the caldera, starting from 290€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the design of the rooms, and the location.
- Theodora Suites Apartment: Located in the heart of the city. Studio flats with small kitchen, fridge, private terrace and hot tub, starting from 350€, breakfast included. What I loved: the hot tubs, the breathtaking view, the kind staff.
- Andronis Boutique Hotel: 5-star hotel located in Oia. You’ll enjoy large suites with a view of the caldera, private balcony and private hot tub or pool, starting from 800€ with breakfast included. Strong points: the idyllic scenery and the calm. It’s my recommendation for a one-week romantic stay in Greece!
- Katikies Hotel – The Leading Hotels of the World: This luxurious hotel offers rooms and suites with a great view, bathtub and spa. The price starts from 1000€ with breakfast included. What I loved: the pools, the spas, the splendid views and the food! It’s my recommendation for a luxury stay in Santorini!
Best hotels in Fira
- Galatia Villas: Located 10 minutes away from Fira’s city centre. The double rooms are quite basic but nice, and the price starts from only 80€ per night. Strong points: the hot tub on the roof, the kind staff, the great value for money for Santorini.
- Lilium Santorini Villa: Located on the edge of the caldera. These elegant and modern double rooms with sea view are available starting from 315€, breakfast included. What I loved: the pool, the exceptionnal location, the warm and welcoming staff.
- Cosmopolitan Suites – Small Luxury Hotels of the World: Located in the heart of Fira. You will enjoy lovely rooms with private balcony, decorated in the purest Cycladian style, starting from 550€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the infinity pool over the cliff, and the luxury hotel services. This is the perfect place to stay with your lover in Santorini!
- Aria Suites: Located in Fira, this high standard hotel offers only 6 suites and luxury villas, fully equipped (you even get a laptop), starting from 700€ per night. What I loved: the magnificent place, the pool and the staff availability. This is a great choice for a luxurious and romantic stay in Fira!
Other best places to stay in Santorini Island
- Memories Beach Hotel: Located just accross Monolithos beach. These comfortable modern rooms starts from 65€ per night, with breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the calm and the adorable staff.
- Rose Suites: Located in Vourvoulos, only 4 kilometers away from Fira. Those studio flats and apartments are well equiped and decorated, with a small kitchen and a private terrace. The prices are starting from 75€ per night. What I loved: the pool, the calm, the decoration. The fridge is also full with everything you need for breakfast. This is the best choice in Santorini for its exceptional value for money!
- Hippocampus Hotel: Located in Kamari, only 50 meters away from the beach. The rooms, with a view on the swimming pool or the garden, are starting from 85€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the ideal location close to the beach, and the really kind staff.
- Meltemi Village Hotel: Located in Perissa, only 5 minutes away from the Black beach. The rooms and suites with hot tubs are starting from 100€ per night, with the breakfast included. What I loved: the pools, the spa, and the great breakfast. A great choice for a stay on Santorini’s shore!
2) Visit another island in the Cyclades (3 days)
For the 2nd stage of your 7 days Greek islands itinerary, you will visit another island of the Cyclades archipelago:
3 islands can easily be accessed by boat from Santorini, so you will need to choose the one that suits you best:
- Amorgos for hiking and beach lovers (the wildest island)
- Naxos, if you prefer to relax at the beach (more private beaches/beach clubs)
- Paros, if you like hiking, going to the beach and visit picturesque mountain villages.
Option 1: Amorgos (3 days)
Amorgos is located only 1 hour away from Santorini by ferry boat.
To check the schedules and book your ferry, you need to use Ferries In Greece website. Be careful during your reservation: as Amorgos has 2 ports, Katapola and Aegiali, you might arrive in one and leave from the other.
Amorgos is especially famous for its gorgeous walking trails. However, for your first day, I recommend you to do a road trip around the island. It’s the best way to get a good grasp of what the place has to offer!
You can rent your car directly at the port when you will arrive.
During this 1st day in Amorgos, you can:
- Walk in Katapola, the main port of the island
- Visit Hora, the capital, and its numerous old windmills
- Have an amazing lunch in one of the village’s typical taverns
- Go to the Monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa
- Go have a look at Agia Ana cove, close to the monastery
- Follow the Southern road to Kalotaritissa, a very nice beach for swimming. Don’t miss the “The Big Blue” movie ship wreck!
Spend a night in Amorgos.
For your 2 other days in Amorgos, enjoy the many marked trails of the Island.
There are 7 main trails you will find on Amorgos’ official website. You will also find every information you need about the routes and difficulty levels.
You can also enjoy some time at the beach during these 2 days!
Spend 2 other nights in Amorgos.
The next day, your Greek islands itinerary will already be over! It will be time to Take the ferry back to Santorini, and fly back home.
You can find detailed information about Amorgos in my article: The 8 best things to do in Amorgos
Where to stay in Amorgos
When you visit Amorgos, you can stay in one of the 2 main cities: Katapola and Aegiali. Choose between the 2 according to your port of departure!
Here is a selection of the best places to stay in Amorgos:
Best hotels in Katapola
- Amorgion Hotel: Located 1km from the port of Katapola, and at only 8-minute walk from the beach. The double rooms with private balcony, and a view of the Aegean Sea for some of them, are starting from 50€ per night, with an 8€ breakfast. Strong points: the pool, the private free parking, the warm welcome. It’s the only hotel with a swimming pool in Katapola!
- Barbara Pension: Located 5 minutes away from the beach, right next to the port of Katapola. The studio flats are equipped with a sink, a fridge and also have a balcony. The prices are starting from 55€per night. Strong points: the cleanliness, the quietness, the very kind owner!
- Diasino Studios: Located close to the port. The studio flats and apartments are modern, with terrace or balcony. The prices are starting from 60€ with a 5€ breakfast. What I loved: the calm, the location close to all the restaurants. It’s the best value for money in Katapola!
- Landeris Hotel: Located 3 minutes away from the beach, and close to the port. The rooms, studio flats and apartments are decorated in a rustic style, with wooden furniture. The prices are starting from 60€ per night with breakfast included. Strong points: the kindness of the owners, the delicious breakfast, the great advice!
- Minoa Hotel: Located 100m from the beach, close to the port. The bright and large double rooms, with balcony are starting from 80€ per night including breakfast. Strong points: the kind staff, the great breakfast.
Best hotels in Aegiali
- Pelagos: Located only 3 minutes from the beach and 100m from the port of Aegiali. The double rooms with balcony and sea view are starting from 35€ per night, with a 5€ breakfast. Strong points: the view, the welcome directly at your boat, the copious breakfast.
- Aelia Studios: Located on the sea side. The modern and cosy studio flats, equipped with a small kitchen with an oven and hotplates are starting from 60€ per night. What I loved: the design and the charm of the apartments, the location. It’s the best value for money in Aegiali!
- Vigla Hotel: Located 10 minutes away from the beach, in Tholaria, above Aegiali. The modern and bright large rooms are starting from 110€per night, with breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the copious breakfast, the comfort, the quietness, the great restaurant. If you are looking for a nice hotel with a swimming pool in Amorgos, you should definitely try the Vigla!
- Aegialis Hotel & Spa: Located above Aegiali, this 5-star hotel (the only one in Amorgos) offers comfortable rooms with balcony starting from 140€ per night. Strong points: the big pool, the magnificient view of Aegiali and the sea, the spa, the quietness. It’s simply the best hotel in Amorgos!
Option 2: Naxos (3 days)
The first 3 days in Santorini were exhausting and you want to relax? Then, Naxos will be the perfect next stop for your 1 week itinerary in the Cyclades.
The island is located about 1h30 from Santorini by ferry boat.
If you want to visit Naxos in 3 days, you will have to rent a car. It’s the biggest island of the Cyclades, and you will need to drive a bit to reach the mountain villages.
You can book it online by clicking on the button below.
For your 1st day in Naxos, the ferry will take you directly to Hora, the capital. There, you will enjoy the many cafés and restaurants on the seaside.
When visiting the city, go to the Portara, Hora’s most photographed place. This former unfinished temple was dedicated to Apollo and became a landmark of the island. From there, you can enjoy a beautiful view over Naxos.
Continue your tour with a walk in Kastro district, the historical neighborhood of the town, with its typical Cycladic alleys.
For the afternoon, you can relax at one of the many beaches of the West Coast.
Spend a night in Naxos.
The next day, you can continue this 1 week Greek islands itinerary with a trip to Naxos’ picturesque mountain villages.
The best places to visit are:
- Halki, located in the centre of Naxos, 20 minutes away from Hora. You will love the local products shops, and the distillery making the local liquor: the kitron. Don’t forget to see the church of Agios Giorgios Diasorites, accessible by a 10-minute walk.
- Filoti, the largest village in Tragea Valley. There, you can enjoy many taverns and restaurants, and a pretty church built in white marble.
- Apiranthos: a small village, with paved alleys. Visiting the village won’t take long, but the road to get there is really worth it, as there are many beautiful viewpoints of the mountains and the sea.
Before going to Apiranthos, from Filoti, you can hike to the top of Mount Zeus, the highest point of the Cyclades. Naxos’ most famous hike starts at “Aria Spring” and takes about 1h30.
Enjoy the rest of your day near Moutsouna, at one of the East coast beaches.
Spend a 2nd night in Naxos.
For your last day in Naxos, how about a 1-day boat trip around the island?
During this tour, you can enjoy many stops to swim in Rina Cave, Kalados Beach, or next to Iraklia, Schinoussa or Koufonisia islands, in the Small Cyclades. You will also go close to Paros and Antiparos. It’s clearly the best cruise in Naxos!
Snorkeling equipment and soft drinks are included in the 80€ per person price.
In the evening, or the next day, depending on your return flight’s departure time, take the ferry back to Santorini and go to the airport. It’s the end of your one week itinerary in the Greek islands.
If you want more information about Naxos, you should read my detailed article: The 10 best things to do in Naxos.
Where to stay in Naxos
If you’re going to visit Naxos, the best is to stay in Hora (the capital city) or its surroundings.
- Anatoli Hotel: Located a 10-minute walk from Naxos centre and the beach. The modern rooms with balcony and a view of the pool or the garden are starting from 45€ with breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the sauna, the hot tub, and the free transfer from the port and the airport.
- The Saint Vlassis: Located only 700m from the city centre and 500m from the Agios Georgios beach. This hotel offers comfortable and large double rooms, with an outdoor hot tub for some of them! The prices are starting from 60€ per night including breakfast. Strong points: the warm welcome, the good breakfast, the free parking. It’s simply the best value for money in Naxos!
- Xenia Hotel: Located in the centre of Naxos. The modern and well equipped double rooms are starting from 70€ with an 8€ breakfast. Strong points: the location in the city centre (really convenient to take the ferry), the kind staff, the comfortable beds.
- Hotel Grotta: Located only 700m from the Portara and 15 minutes from the beach. Those nice and bright double rooms with balcony are starting from 90€ with breakfast included. A great place for a romantic gateway in Naxos!
- Nissaki Beach Hotel: Located on Agios Georgios beach, the closest to Naxos. The double rooms are very well decorated, and with a balcony. The prices are starting from 220€ per night, with breakfast included. What I loved: The pool, the location next to the beach, the amazing breakfast, the staff. It’s the best hotel for a luxury stay in Naxos!
Option 3: Paros (3 days)
The third and last option to end this 7-8 days Greek Islands trip is to spend 3 days in Paros.
It takes between 2 and 3 hours to go to Paros from Santorini, depending on the boat company. You can check and book your tickets by clicking the button below.
To visit Paros, you should rent a car. Just click on the button to compare the prices.
On your 1st day in Paros, focus on the Nothern part of the island.
With the ferry, you will arrive in Parikia, the capital. During your walk in the old town, discover the Kastro, the church of Panagia Ekatontapyliani, the Byzantine Museum and the Archaeological Museum.
Then, take your car and go to Paros Park, in the north of the island. There, enjoy a beautiful stroll on the seaside. If you want to discover the 3 marked trails, plan at least 2 hours!
You can also relax and take a dip at the nice beach at the entrance of the Park.
When you will be done, get back in your car and drive to Naoussa, Paros’ trendy seaside resort, with its many boutiques and restaurants.
End your day at one of the many beaches close to Naoussa: Siparos Beach, Stefano Beach, Lageri Beach, Santa Maria Beach or Kolymbithres.
Spend a 1st night in Paros.
The next day, you will visit the Southern part of the island.
In the morning, you can discover 3 villages:
- Lefkes, one of the most beautiful villages in Paros
- Prodromos, a lovely village with typical Cycladic houses and alleys
- Marpissa, another lovely Cycladic village.
You can take your car to visit each village, or walk on the Byzantine trail that connects the 3, if you want to do a bit of hiking!
Have your lunch break at the port of Piso Livadi. The speciality there is fresh grilled fishes and seafood. It’s delicious!
In the afternoon, just relax at the beach. You can either go to Golden Beach, Logaras or Faragas!
Spend a 2nd night in Paros.
For your last day in Paros, also the last day of your Greek Islands Itinerary, how about a boat trip around Paros and Antiparos?
You can go on a half-day or a full-day trip, and you will have the choice between different types of boats. In any case, several stops are included to let you swim!
The prices are starting from 40€, and can go up to 100€ per person for a semi-private cruise.
Spend a last night in Paros, or take the ferry to return to Santorini at the end of the day, if your return flight takes off early the next morning.
You will find every information you need to visit Paros in 3 days in my article: The 10 best things to do in Paros.
Where to stay in Paros
In Paros, you will find most of the accommodations around Parikia (that’s convenient, because its where the ferries arrive), or in Naoussa, the island’s main seaside resort.
You will find here a selection of the best places to stay in Parikia and Naoussa.
Best hotels in Parikia
- Margarita: Located only 300m from the church of Parikia, and 400m from the beach. The double rooms with balcony are starting from 37€ per night. Strong points: the kindness and the advice of the owners, the warm welcome.
- Nostos Studios: Located only a minute walk from the beach and 1km from the port. The studios for 2 to 4 people, with a beautiful sea view, are starting from 70€ per night. Strong points: the terrace to admire the sunset, the warm welcome.
- Sunset View Hotel: Located only 10 minutes away from the port. The confortable rooms with balcony are starting from 80€ including breakfast. What I loved: the pool, the free shuttle from the port, the private parking. It’s the best value for money in Paros!
- Akrotiri Hotel: Located 2km from the port of Parikia. The clean and comfortable double rooms with sea view are starting from 100€ per night, with breakfast included. Strong points: the pool, the view, the great breakfast, the kind staff.
Best hotels in Naoussa
- Surfing Beach Village Paros: Located directly on Santa Maria’s beach, a 5-minute drive from Naoussa. The nice bungalows, decorated in Cycladic style are starting from 30€ per night including breakfast. Strong points: the pool, the free transfer to the port, the location, the free deckchairs on the beach.
- Hotel Senia: Located 200m away from the centre of Naoussa, on the seaside. The rooms and suites with private balconies and amazing view are starting from 105€, with breakfast included. What I loved: the 2 pools, the free parking, the great breakfast. It’s the best value for money in Naoussa!
- Paliomylos Spa Hotel: Located 800m away from Naoussa. The bright and large double rooms are starting from 110€ per night, including breakfast. Strong points: the pool, the spa with massages, the decoration, the complete and varied breakfast.
- Villa Bellonia: Located 12 minutes away from the beach and 1km from Naoussa. The lovely rooms with balcony or private terrace are starting from 120€ per night, with breakfast included. What I loved: The pool, the comfort, the amazing breakfast. It’s the best choice for a romantic gateway in Paros!
- Saint Andrea Resort Hotel: Located 1.5km away from Naoussa, this hotel offers luxurious accomodation with private terrace and view of the garden and the sea, starting from 200€ per night. Strong points: the location in front of the sea, the kind staff, the big pool. It’s my recommendation for a luxury stay in Paros!
Now you know how to spend one week in greek islands! If you have any questions about planning your 6, 7 or 8 days greek island itinerary, don’t hesitate to ask me in the comments section.
However, if you prefer to book a Greece tour with a travel agency, I recommend you to check the 10 best Greece tours by clicking the button below:
🚗 Rent a car
🗽 Book entrance tickets and guided visits
🏄 Book your sports activities
🚤 Book your rental boat
🌍 Take a travel insurance
🙎 Book a tour
⛴️ Book your ferry tickets in Greece
🚅 Book your train tickets
✈️ Book your flight
Greece travel guides
- Buy the Lonely Planet Greece guide on Amazon.com or on Amazon.co.uk
- Buy the DK Eyewitness Greece guide on Amazon.com or on Amazon.co.uk
You’re traveling to Greece ? These articles will help you !
Discover all my articles about Greece: All my articles to help you plan your trip to Greece are listed there.
- The 20 Best Things to do in Greece – The Ultimate Bucket list!
- The 15 Best Things to do in Peloponnese – All the must-see attractions
- Itinerary: 4-5 days in Greece – The perfect itinerary for a short stay in Greece
- Itinerary: 1 week in Greece – The best Itinerary to visit Athens + Santorini!
- Itinerary: 6, 7 or 8 days in Greece – The definitive guide to visit Athens + Peloponnese in a week
- Itinerary: 10 days in Greece – The definitive guide to visit Central Greece in 9-10 days
- Itinerary: 2 weeks in Greece – The best Itinerary to visit Athens + Central Greece + Cyclades (Santorini)
- Itinerary: 3 weeks in Greece – The best Itinerary to visit Athens + Central Greece + even more Cyclades islands!
- Itinerary: 1 month in Greece – The definitive guide to visit Greece in a month!
- Road trip in Greece – The best itineraries for 5, 7, 10, 15, 21 and 30 days.
Cyclades (Greek islands)
- The 15 Best Cyclades Islands to visit – With all the must-see attractions
- Itinerary: 10 days in Greek islands – The definitive guide to visit the Cyclades in 10 days!
- Itinerary: Greek Island Hopping routes – The best 2 weeks itinerary to visit the Cyclades
- Amorgos: The 8 best places to see
- Andros: The 7 must-see attractions and activities
- Naxos: Top 10 things to do
- Paros: The 10 best places to visit
- Santorini: The definitive guide
- Tinos: The 10 best things to do