Where to Stay in Malta: My Selection of the Best Accommodations
You’ve planned to visit Malta and are wondering where to stay?
You’re at the right place!
Though the island is small, choosing the ideal accommodation can be quite difficult if you’re unfamiliar with Malta!
Since I know the island very well, I have prepared this guide to the best hotels to stay in Malta, based on what you would like to visit and your budget.
To make it easier, I have categorized the accommodations by city or geographical area and for each, I will provide you with the strong points and nearby tourist sites.
And at the end of the article, I will also give you my selection of all-inclusive hotels and budget-friendly accommodations in Malta.
So, where is the best place to stay in Malta for your visit?
- Where to Stay in Malta: My Selection of the Best Accommodations
- Staying in Valletta – The Capital of Malta
- Where to Stay in Sliema
- Staying in the North of Malta
- Where to Stay in the South of Malta
- Where to Stay on the Island of Gozo
- Where to Stay in Comino
- All-Inclusive Hotels in Malta
- Where to Stay in Malta on a Budget
- Where to Stay in Malta: A Recap Table of the Best Hotels
- You’re traveling in Malta? These articles will help you!
Staying in Valletta – The Capital of Malta
During your trip to Malta, you might choose to stay in Valletta, the capital of the island.
It’s nothing like Paris, London or Madrid. Valletta is one of the smallest European capitals. Here you won’t find ceaseless traffic or high-rise buildings: Valletta is one of the most typical cities in Malta.
As you walk around, you can admire the traditional Maltese houses with their shutters and doors painted red, green, or blue and especially their enclosed balconies from where women (or men!) could observe everything happening outside without being seen!
Valletta is the ideal place to discover:
- The breathtaking gold-covered interior of St. John’s Co-Cathedral
- The Grand Master’s Palace to visit the state rooms and the armory housing the weapons and armor of the Knights of the Order of Malta
- The amazing views from the Upper Barrakka Gardens
- Fort St. Elmo
- The Three Cities
And if you want to learn more about the sights in Valletta, check out my article: Visiting Valletta.
Where to Stay in Valletta, Malta?
- Private Room : Located 300 meters from Fort St. Elmo and 700 meters from Upper Barrakka Gardens. Comfortable double room starting at 75€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: excellent location, warm hospitality, and tranquility.
- Grand Harbour Hotel: Traditionally designed hotel in the heart of Valletta, just 100 meters from Upper Barrakka Gardens. Basic double room starting at 90€ per night or sea-view rooms overlooking the Three Cities for 110€, breakfast included. Strong points: ideal location, stunning view, rooftop terrace.
- Tano’s Boutique Guesthouse: Located in the center of Valletta, steps away from all the tourist spots. Spacious and bright double room starting at 115€ per night. Strong points: central location, peaceful atmosphere, rooftop terrace for breakfast. One of the best value for money hotels in Valletta.
- Grand Hotel Excelsior: 5-star hotel located by the sea, offering truly sublime views! Lovely rooms starting at 170€ per night. Strong points: swimming pool, jacuzzi, free parking, excellent breakfast, the view, service, and many other features that will make your stay exceptional! Our top favorite place to stay in Valletta.
- Hotel Phoenicia Malta: Luxury hotel located at City Gate Square. Tastefully decorated spacious double room starting at 235€ per night, breakfast for an additional 17€. Strong points: infinity pool with harbor views, the enormous garden, the location, and free private parking. Simply the best luxury hotel to stay at in Valletta.
Where to Stay in Sliema
Sliema is located close to Valletta. A small ferry crosses the harbor between the two in about 5 minutes.
This area, which encompasses not only Sliema but also St. Julian’s and Paceville, is one of the most touristy spots in Malta. It’s home to plenty of hotels, bars, restaurants, and shops.
There are also casinos and nightclubs.
As you might guess, Sliema is an excellent choice for lodging in Malta if you want to go out in the evening and enjoy the lively atmosphere! However, it may not be the quietest place for a restful night’s sleep. 😅
Things to do in and around Sliema:
- Shopping at the island’s largest mall: The Point Shopping Mall
- Enjoying a drink, or drinks, pints, pitchers!
- Dancing the night away
- Getting some fresh air along the seaside promenade
Accommodations in Sliema
- Sliema Marina Hotel: Positioned directly on Sliema’s seafront, a few meters from the Valletta ferry pier. Spacious and nicely decorated double room starting at 60€ per night, breakfast available for an additional 7€. Strong points: panoramic rooftop terrace, top-floor jacuzzi.
- Palazzo Violetta: Located in Sliema, about ten minutes’ walk from the sea. Equipped studio with kitchenette, modern, spacious and comfortable from 100€ per night, breakfast for an extra 10€. Strong points: the swimming pool, practical location, room comfort. The best value for money place to stay in Sliema!
- The Victoria Hotel: In Sliema, 5 minutes on foot from the seaside promenade. Comfortable and well-appointed double room starting at 130€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: rooftop pool with panoramic views, excellent breakfast, restaurant quality for dinner.
Staying in the North of Malta
The North of the island is also an excellent choice for accommodation in Malta.
I would recommend choosing a hotel near Mellieha. This small town is an ideal base not only for visiting the North of Malta but also to take the ferry to Gozo or spend a day on Comino.
Spanning the seaside and atop a hill, most hotels in Mellieha also offer a superb view of the bay. Not to mention, this is where you’ll find the most beautiful beaches in Malta!
In summary, the town is perfect for your stay in Malta:
- To explore the North of the island
- To enjoy Malta’s sandy beaches
- To take a day trip to Comino and the Blue Lagoon
- To catch the boat to the neighboring island: Gozo
Not to miss near Mellieha:
- The splendid beaches of Gnejna Bay and Ghajn Tuffieha, which in my opinion, are the two most beautiful beaches in Malta. You can find more information in this article: The 25 Most Beautiful Beaches in Malta.
- The view of Popeye Village where the film with Robin Williams was shot
- Mellieha Beach, the largest on the island, where you can enjoy many water sports
- The Blue Lagoon of Comino with its incredibly turquoise and clear waters
My Top Picks for the Best Hotels in Mellieha
- Pergola Hotel & Spa: Located in Mellieha, with views of the bay, church, village, Gozo, and Comino. Studios with an equipped kitchenette starting from €80, breakfast for €8. Strong points: the option to self-cater, the view, excellent service, three pools.
- Solana Hotel & Spa: Situated a 10-minute walk from the beach. Modern, air-conditioned double rooms starting from €90, breakfast for €7.95. Strong points: the rooftop pool terrace, the spa, and the very welcoming staff.
- LABRANDA Riviera Hotel & Spa: Seafront location in Marfa Bay. Spacious and bright double room with a balcony from €100, breakfast included. Strong points: two outdoor pools, the spa, the view, the tranquility. This is my favorite for its value for money.
- Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa: Located in the town of Mellieha, 1 km from a large sandy beach. Huge and elegant double rooms from €140 per night, breakfast included. Strong points: a rooftop pool on the 9th floor with panoramic views of the entire bay, heated pool and jacuzzi, varied and abundant buffet, close to bus stops for trips to Valletta or the beach. Definitely one of the best choices for accommodation in the north of Malta.
- Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands: Situated in Golden Bay, a 2-minute walk from a beautiful beach. Large double rooms with balcony and sea or countryside views from €150 per night, breakfast for €20. Strong points: beach access, the view, delicious breakfast, in summer the price includes sunbeds and umbrellas on the private beach. This is my luxury stay recommendation for Mellieha.
Where to Stay in the South of Malta
Choosing a hotel in the south of the island is practical at the end of your Malta itinerary as it’s the closest area to the airport. Staying near Marsaxlokk or Zurrieq, for example, puts you just a fifteen-minute drive away.
Staying in the south of Malta can also be great for discovering:
- The Sunday fish market in Marsaxlokk
- St. Peter’s Pool, a natural swimming pool popular for bathing
- The Blue Grotto which can be admired from the lookout near Zurrieq or through a boat trip
- The Dingli cliffs, the highest point on the island of Malta.
The Best Accommodations to Stay in the South of Malta
- Luxury Room in the South Malta: Bed and breakfast located in Zurrieq, 3 km from the airport. Large and modern homeowner’s double room from €60 per night. Strong points: spacious room, very accommodating family, location next to the airport and the Blue Grotto.
- Dun Gorg Guest House: Located in Marsaxlokk. Warm and modern double room with balcony and sea view from €65, breakfast included. Strong points: the terrace, room comfort, and location. This is my top pick for staying in the south of Malta!
- Port View Guesthouse: Guesthouse located in Marsaxlokk, a picturesque fishing village with a very touristy market on Sundays. Modern and comfortable double room from €70 per night, breakfast included. Strong points: seaside location, good breakfast, and perfect welcome.
- Harbour Lodge : Close to the fishing port. Quiet and comfortable double room from €85 per night, breakfast included. Strong points: tranquil location, free parking, complimentary airport shuttle.
Where to Stay on the Island of Gozo
During your tour of Malta, I highly recommend you take a trip to the neighboring island of Gozo.
This little sister of the island of Malta is more rural, quieter, and less urbanized. The landscapes are stunning, with very traditional villages, and there are plenty of small coves for swimming. It’s also the ideal place if you love walking along the seaside.
Just 20 minutes by ferry from the north of the island will get you there.
It’s best to plan to spend 1 or 2 nights on Gozo to have enough time to see everything.
To see and do in Gozo:
- The “capital” Victoria and its citadel
- The salt pans of Marsalforn
- The Dwejra area, the former site of the Azure Window
- Ta’Pinu Basilica
- Swimming at Ramla Bay, Gozo’s largest sandy beach, or the other coves
- Hiking along coastal paths.
For all the practical information about Gozo, you should read my dedicated article: The Complete Guide to Visiting Gozo.
The Best Hotels to Stay at in Gozo
- Guesthouse Bambina: Located in Xaghra, a 10-minute walk from the beach. Double rooms with modern and zen decor from €75. Strong points: beautiful house with a pool and a magnificent view of Gozo, warm welcome, walking distance to the beach, and an almost unbeatable price. Our choice for its excellent value for money!
- Casa Gemelli Boutique Guesthouse: A charming hotel located in Victoria, the main town of Gozo. Fully renovated double rooms combining traditional and modern decor from €90, breakfast included. Strong points: location in Victoria with access to all buses, homemade breakfast, and the staff’s friendliness and valuable advice.
- The Duke Boutique Hostel: Situated in the center of Victoria. Huge and comfortable double rooms from €100 per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the location, super bedding, the view from the rooftop terrace, varied and abundant breakfast, staff availability, some rooms with jacuzzi on the terrace.
- Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz : A luxury hotel located in San Lawrenz near the Inland Sea and Ta’Pinu Basilica. Spacious and modern double rooms with balconies from €116 per night, breakfast at an additional €25. Strong points: the stunning view, huge pools, indoor pool, free parking, exceptional breakfast, the spa. Quite simply the best hotel in Gozo.
And if you prefer staying in an apartment during your visit to Gozo, I recommend The Holiday Hub Gozo.
Situated on the top floor (penthouse) of a typical Maltese stone building with a beautiful patio, this modern and fully equipped accommodation has 3 large bedrooms + 2 bathrooms.
Able to accommodate up to 6 people, it’s perfect for a family trip or a holiday with friends!
It also features 2 lovely terraces (75m²), ideal for enjoying your breakfast in the sun or an evening aperitif.
And the highlight: access to a 150m² rooftop with an above-ground pool, a jacuzzi, and a barbecue.
A perfect place to relax after a busy day of sightseeing!
Strong points: the quietness, ideal location for visiting Gozo, the furnished roof-terrace with its superb view + the owners are very nice and speak French!
Our favorite pick in Gozo, make sure to book well in advance!
To book your stay at The Holiday Hub, click on the button below:
Where to Stay in Comino
Malta has a third island: Comino.
This tiny island is famous for its Blue Lagoon, an expanse of clear turquoise waters that will make you want to dive right in!
To get to Comino easily, you can either stay in the north of Malta or choose to sleep in Gozo. There are regular ferry shuttles going back and forth from Comino to these two areas for about ten euros.
Comino is a protected area, so there aren’t many buildings on the island, but you’ll still find a single hotel.
I don’t recommend staying there for your entire trip as it’s not the best place for sightseeing; it’s too isolated, but if you fancy spending a night, here’s some info.
Right on the beach, Comino Hotel offers slightly outdated rooms but with balconies that have sea views, starting from 80€ per night. Since the island is remote, the price includes breakfast and dinner.
Strong points: the pool, the Blue Lagoon just a 10-minute walk away, the tranquility, the ferry service to Gozo, and the kayak rentals.
Please note that the hotel is open only from May to the end of October. You can make a reservation by clicking on the button below:
All-Inclusive Hotels in Malta
On the island, you will also find some “all-inclusive” hotels where to stay in Malta. They’re convenient if you’re mostly looking to enjoy the beach and pool during your Malta holiday.
The Top 5 All-Inclusive Hotels to Stay at in Malta
- Db San Antonio Hotel & Spa 4*: Located in St. Paul’s Bay, a bit before Mellieha and 30 minutes from Valletta. Modern and spacious rooms, pleasant and well-equipped. Strong points: the 2 outdoor pools, beach access, musical evenings, the all-inclusive package with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even afternoon snacks.
- Top Clubs Cocoon Salini Resort 4*: Located in the town of Bugibba, this all-inclusive hotel in Malta is by the seaside. Designer rooms with spacious balconies. Strong points: the pools, some for activities and others for adults, convenient location for day trips.
- Db Seabank Resort & Spa 4*: Located in Mellieha, in front of the beach and close to the ferry to Gozo. The all-inclusive package includes a buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as snacks and drinks throughout the day. Strong points: the mini club, playground, it’s an ideal all-inclusive hotel for families in Malta.
- Solana Hotel & Spa 4*: as I mentioned in the section about where to stay in the north of Malta, Solana Hotel also offers all-inclusive stays.
- Labranda Riviera Premium Resort & Spa 4*: the same goes for Labranda, which I’ve already mentioned. You can also choose the all-inclusive option.
Where to Stay in Malta on a Budget
If you’re on a tighter budget, here is a selection of affordable accommodation in Malta, categorized by the cities or areas mentioned above.
Affordable Stays Near Valletta (Sliema)
- Inhawi Boutique Hostel : A youth hostel located a 10-minute walk from the ferry to Valletta. Dormitory beds from 14€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the price, central and quiet location, the pool, the facilities. A great choice for budget-friendly accommodation in Malta.
- Pebbles Boutique Aparthotel : Near the ferry to Valletta. Modern and bright double rooms from 65€ per night. Strong points: close to all shops and restaurants, very friendly staff, rooftop jacuzzi, breakfast buffet. Book as early as possible, they sell out fast!
Budget Accommodation in the North of Malta
- Cosy Home: Located in the heart of Mellieha. Modern double rooms from 45€, breakfast at 6€. Strong points: the hosts’ kindness, the terrace, excellent value for money.
- Paradise Bay Hotel : Right next to the ferry to Gozo. Large, bright double rooms with sea views from 70€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the location, the 3 pools including one heated indoor pool, the varied breakfast.
Where to Stay in the South of Malta on a Budget
- Xrobb L-Ghajin Hostel : A youth hostel located near Marsaxlokk, right by the sea. Dormitory beds from 18€. Strong points: the extraordinary view, the kitchen facilities, the comfortable beds.
- Large Apartment – Malta International Airport : Only 1 km from the airport. Spacious double rooms from 40€ per night. Strong points: ideal for early flights, the tranquility, the welcoming hosts. There’s only one, so book quickly!
Affordable Places to Stay in Gozo
- Downtown Hotel : Located in the heart of Victoria, the main town of Gozo. Double rooms from 55€ per night, breakfast included. Strong points: the central location, a good breakfast, spacious rooms. A good place for budget accommodation in Malta.
- Murella Living: Situated in Marsalforn. Double rooms with careful decoration and a balcony from 60€, breakfast at 6.50€. Strong points: a nice breakfast, the decor, good bedding.
- Il-Plajja Hotel: Located in Marsalforn Bay. Spacious and very clean double rooms from 61€, breakfast included. Strong points: the panoramic terrace with sea views, pleasant staff.
Where to Stay in Malta: A Recap Table of the Best Hotels
To give you a better idea of where to stay in Malta, I have created a table that summarizes all the hotels discussed in this article. You can sort them by price or location!
🚗 Rent a car
🗽 Book entrance tickets and guided visits
🏄 Book your sports activities
🚤 Book your rental boat
🌍 Take a travel insurance
🙎 Book a tour
🚅 Book your train tickets
✈️ Book your flight
Malta travel Guides
- Buy the Lonely Planet Malta guide on Amazon.com or on Amazon.co.uk
- Buy the DK Eyewitness Malta guide on Amazon.com or on Amazon.co.uk
You’re traveling in Malta? These articles will help you!
Discover all my articles about Malta: All my articles to help you plan your trip to Malta are listed there.
- Itinerary: 2-3 Days in Malta – with all my best tips + accommodation suggestions!
- Itinerary: 4-5 Days in Malta – with all my best tips + accommodation suggestions!
- Itinerary: 1 Week in Malta – with all my best tips + accommodation suggestions!
- Itinerary: 10 Days in Malta – with all my best tips + accommodation suggestions!